Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate 2TB external drive will not mount - Tried many things

I have tried many things, but I still can't get my Seagate 2TB external drive to mount to my early 2011 MacBook Pro running Lion 10.7.2.

This external drive has always mounted to the same MacBook Pro as soon as I plugged it in and I have backups from this MBP on this external drive as well as 3 other windows machines. The seagate external drive has mounted after backing up a windows machine then plugging it into this MBP. This Seagate external drive is not faulty because when I plug it into a Mac Mini running OSX 10.6.8 it mounts perfectly and I can access the files.

I have started the macbook pro in safe mode, shut it down and performed a SMC reset, then shut it down and performed a PRAM reset and it still won't mount the seagate external drive.

I have opened disk utility and tried to manually mount the external drive and that didn't work. When I ran "verify disk" it said errors were found but not fixed because read-only. When I run "repair disk" I get "volume repair complete." "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required." However the external drive never mounts.

Any help is appreciated!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 8GB Ram

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 8:28 AM

19 replies

Jan 3, 2012 7:49 AM in response to Lexiepex

My apologies, I was on the Tuxeira website researching the NTFS when I posted that. It was the Paragon NTFS and when I uninstalled it, my external drive mounted perfectly and I could access my files, but I can't write to it. I just went to Paragon's website and downloaded the latest trial version and now my external drive won't mount.

Jan 9, 2012 8:22 AM in response to Lexiepex

This worked for me, I can now read and write:

nmondal

Hi mandy2010,

here are the things you *should* follow step by step.

1. Assuming you have ntfs-3g installed, then,
  2. Go to System Preferences
  3. Find ntfs-3g and macfuse.
  4. Uninstall them
  5. Delete the prerences options of macfuse
  6. Now reboot the system.
  7. Install ntfs-3g from : http://www.tuxera.com/mac/tuxerantfs_2010.12-RC.dmg
  8. Install http://www.tuxera.com/mac/macfuse-core-10.5-2.1.9.dmg [VERY IMP STEP]
  9. Reboot the system.
  10. Now insert your USB NTFS hard drive, and it should get mounted for read/write access.

Please note that it would give a nagging warning

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk...

at /Volumes/.... because the following problem occurred:

Did not receive a signal within 15.000000 seconds. Exiting...

And it is fine, the read write is proper. Do not worry. Feel free to bug me, in case anything needed.

Aug 30, 2012 2:10 AM in response to shanefrommurfreesboro

you have to share your external hard drive doesn't matter what brand, connect the hard drive to your windows computer/laptop and open the properties on the hard drive and select share in all tabs marked with share you should find two of them, select all boxes within the tab i have four external hard drives that would not mount to my mac this solved the issue on all counts and they all work perfectly. You do not need to delete files from your NTFS or mac - this will work

Seagate 2TB external drive will not mount - Tried many things

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.