Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switch to MRU tab with shortcut or gesture

Hi. Is there any way to navigate to the most-recently-used tab by way of a shortcut or a gesture?

I am looking for the Safari application-specific equivalent of the OS X's "{Command}+{apostrophe}" shortcut that switches to the most-recently-used active program window.

Being able to step through the entire MRU list of tabs by repeatedly typing part of the shortcut (as with the OS X shortcut for application window switching) would be excellent.

I am more than happy to write a macro and bind it to a shortcut if needed.

TIA. This is the largest and most frequently hit speedbump in my computer use.

Kirby.

10.6.8, soon to jump to 10.7.x

MacBook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 8 G / 500 G internal / 5 TB external / NEC 2490 / ColorMunki Pho

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 8:32 AM

9 replies

Feb 10, 2016 7:14 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

FYI – it may be nearly 5 years later, but I recently made a simple copy of Chrome's Tab Stack extension for Safari: Tab Stack for Safari. It's not going to please everyone, but for folks (like me) who were used to Tab Stack on Chrome as an MRU solution, it's a usable option. Basically, it moves the active tab to the front (left) after a brief delay. This has the effect of sorting your tabs, keeping the most recently tabs on the left. The (configurable) brief delay allows you to scan through tabs without changing the order. The benefit is having a simple solution that sorts tabs without any special hotkeys or messing around with Safari's tab handling. People who don't like their tabs moving around won't care for Tab Stack and can look elsewhere for an MRU solution for Safari.

Sep 9, 2016 3:02 PM in response to ekruB

It's never too late to do the right thing. Even if it's not fully satisfactory, this is an amazing workaround! It's a shame that Apple is not able to do anything about a MRU option (while all other browser have the option). Thank you ekruB.

Could I suggest an improvement?

When there is a lot of tabs, the scrollable bar of tabs shows the tabs on the far right and reduce the tabs on the left, it would be better to scroll it on the left.

Switch to MRU tab with shortcut or gesture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.