Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QT "Player", audio but no video of mov files

So I got this Macbook Pro(10.7.2 Lion) for Christmas and the version of Quicktime that is on it (Version 10.1 (501.5)) will not play some of my old QT mov files. These are files that were made with iMovie on my Macbook.

These files will play on my Macbook (10.5.8) with QT version (7.5.5)

When I try and open the files with the new QT Player in Lion ... I just get audio and no video. The movie inspector shows only audio info and no video info.

Is this a known problem ? Is there a fix?

If not, can I download and run QT 7.5.5 in Lion?

Thanks.

Gary

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 11:07 AM

"If not, can I download and run QT 7.5.5 in Lion?"

Yes. The latest version of QT7 is actually 7.6.6.

You may want to also install QT 'helper' apps such as Perian and/or VLC, which expand the list of supported codexes (codexi?). MacUpdate is a good source of downloads: http://www.macupdate.com/

2 replies

Dec 27, 2011 11:22 AM in response to Rysz

Thanks!

I actually have a version of VLC somewhere in my collection of apps. Probably not the latest version.

I am just beginning the process of finding out what things didn't make the "migration" from my Macbook_10.5

I am noticing the simularity between the words "migration" and "migraine". 😕

I will check out http://www.macupdate.com/

perhaps they will have a check list of things that are no longer compatible with Lion and possible solutions.

QT "Player", audio but no video of mov files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.