Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Huge daily.out doc

Yesterday I ran the program GrandPerspective and found that the document daily.out is currently 315.28 GB and eating up the majority of my HD space. Having read a number of posts, I reviewed the daily.out log in the console. It appears to date back a number of years although I have only had this iMac since August 2010. I believe from what I have read that I can delete this log, but would like confirmation. I would welcome the help with this situation. Thanks. [Note: If it is relavent, I only started using Time Machine last month. Prior to that, I was doing doing all my backups with Retrospect.)

iMac - 2010 21.5" Intel-based, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 1:20 PM

Yes, you can safely remove the /private/var/log/daily.out file. If you have somekind of "maintenance" program that you run then remove that too.

42 replies

Dec 27, 2011 2:06 PM in response to Mary Ries

Mary Ries wrote:

Thanks, Mark. I will remove Daily.Out. I don't run a maintenance program. However, I periodically run the Repair Disk Permissions, and even more rarely run Repair Disk. Do either of these present a problem?

No, neither has any effect on daily.out. daily.out contains all the output from the shell scripts in the /etc/periodic/daily folder. Periodic runs these scripts and then send the output to daily.out. In any case it is unusual that your daily.out file has grow so large.

Dec 27, 2011 4:21 PM in response to Mark Jalbert

Mary Ries wrote:

Thanks, Mark. I will remove Daily.Out. I don't run a maintenance program. However, I periodically run the Repair Disk Permissions, and even more rarely run Repair Disk. Do either of these present a problem?

My comment on this is you should let the periodic daily, weekly, monthly run every once in a while. Because you haven't been running them is why you daily.out log got as large as it did. One of the jobs of the maintenance tasks is to rotate certain log files, keeping a few of the most recent compressed, and to minimize the size of others specifically from growing too large.

As for running repair permissions vs. repair disk, IMO you have your priorities backwords. Repair permissions is generally never needed. On the other hand it is best to more often verify your drives before any potential disk errors get compounded by further disk errors.

Mark Jalbert wrote:

No, neither has any effect on daily.out. daily.out contains all the output from the shell scripts in the /etc/periodic/daily folder. Periodic runs these scripts and then send the output to daily.out. In any case it is unusual that your daily.out file has grow so large.

Not unusual if you never do the periodic maintenance as I just said above.

Dec 27, 2011 8:46 PM in response to Mary Ries

Mary Ries wrote:

I have deleted the daily.out log

I should have taken a peek at it first. My own daily.out goes back to the beginning of September and it is only 1.2MB. Assuming this as average use, extrapolating it to a whole year is somewhere between 3 and 4MB. Which means your log had enough in it for a whole geological era! Maybe something isn't quite right in your setup, and a look at the log might have given you a clue...

Huge daily.out doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.