Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new iMac not sleeping ...

I just bought my dad a brand new iMac. His old computer was a Mac Mini. And it never slept either. Obviously the migration assistant brought over some bad preferences. BUT how do I fix this issue?! It doesn't sleep AND the screen doesnt even sleep. So it stays up 24 hours a day. Which burns electricity and kills the screen probably. The energy prefs are set to their defaults. Any ideas?

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 1:15 PM

9 replies

Jan 2, 2012 7:30 PM in response to Christopher Sims

Try to delete the following preferences:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

/Users/UserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

Restart immediately after deleting these files.

Note that the easier way to get to your Library folder under the username is to hold down the option key while in finder and clicking on the "Go" menu and clicking "Library"

What happens if you try to put it to sleep manually?

Jan 2, 2012 9:12 PM in response to Christopher Sims

Check your energy preferences after deleting those plists and if your Mac is connected via a wired Ethernet make sure that "Wake on Network Access" is not enabled. Also, if you have printers or other peripherals connected to your Mac, try disconnecting them to see if the issue continues. Next consider Bluetooth devices that might be waking the computer. You can just turn Bluetooth off to troubleshoot that.

Cheers,

Jon

Brand new iMac not sleeping ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.