Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no output sound

Hi,

This morning I rebooted my comp with the Mac OS X snow Leopard CD, in order to get rid of a password on the comp that was preventing me from downloading my wireless router. The problem is now I have no sound. I go to system pref--> Sound-->output and it says no output device. Did something happen to me internal speakers? if so, how do I get them back??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3), snow leopard

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 1:57 PM

5 replies

Dec 27, 2011 2:14 PM in response to olga12987

Hi Olga,

Have you done a PRAM reset, CMD+Option+p+r...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Have you ever had headphones plugged in to it? Sometimes the jack doesn't quite close when unpligging.

Open Audio Midi Setup in Applications>Utilities, see the input & output options & KHz setting there, some things will change it for their own use, then not set it back. User uploaded file

Dec 27, 2011 5:27 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi,

Thank you for your help.

1) I tried the PRAM rest-- and nothing changed on my computer.

2) I didn't have anything plugged it but I did try plugging in headphones now and removing them-- this did not help.

3) I dont see the input & output option when I open my Audio Midi setup --instead it says no output device found.

Any ideas??

Thanks again!

Dec 27, 2011 6:28 PM in response to olga12987

Hmmm, either sound IS really gone, or maybe some SW or extension isn't loading.

In System Profiler>Software>Extensions see if like this one is loaded...

AppleOnboardAudio:

Version: 2.5.8

Last Modified: 10/9/07 9:50

Get Info String: AppleOnboardAudio version 2.5.8, Copyright 2000-2009 Apple Computer, Inc.

kext Version: 2.5.8f1

Load Address: 0x6fb000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

We might also inspect the system log from the last startup onward in Console utility.

Dec 28, 2011 12:31 PM in response to olga12987

Are there any audio ones tere, different models may have different ones, not certain.

If all the above fails, then it appears to be time for a relatively painless Archive & Install, which gives you a new/old OS, but can preserve all your files, pics, music, settings, etc., as long as you have plenty of free disk space and no Disk corruption, and is relatively quick & painless...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Just be sure to select Preserve Users & Settings.

no output sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.