Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UPS Battery Backup

I have an Early 2008 MacPro and would like to connect it to a new UPS Battery Backup. The current one that I have gets overloaded by the Mac when there is heavy processer usage.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of UPS to get that will not overload when the Mac is connected.

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Early 2008 Quad 2.8Ghz, 14 GB Ram

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 4:32 PM

Capacity is the question, and age.

I have a 750 VA that is 3 (4?) years old that runs two tower systems (PC and Linux, plus a 22 in monitor) when I run those. It never seems "overloaded".

But age and enough instances of blackout for using the batteries may have weakened it.

A decent 900 or 1000 VA unit still runs only just above $100 in my neighborhood. Ans ONLY APC ... not CyberPower.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2011 4:32 PM in response to Tony Barone

Capacity is the question, and age.

I have a 750 VA that is 3 (4?) years old that runs two tower systems (PC and Linux, plus a 22 in monitor) when I run those. It never seems "overloaded".

But age and enough instances of blackout for using the batteries may have weakened it.

A decent 900 or 1000 VA unit still runs only just above $100 in my neighborhood. Ans ONLY APC ... not CyberPower.

Dec 27, 2011 4:38 PM in response to steve359

I didn't think a UPS would "overload" when the power is on and its not running off the battery. But when my Mac pro does something thats very processer intensive, such as 3D rendering, the UPS would start beeping and the "overload" light would come on.

Can you tell me if the following model's specs would be sufficient?

Its an APC

Output:

Output Capacity: 600VA / 360 Watts

• Output Voltage / Frequency (On utility): 120V / 50/60Hz +/- 3%
  • Output Voltage / Frequency (On battery): 115V +/-8%, 50 or 60 Hz +/- 1hz
  • 8 total NEMA 5-15R outlets
  • Output Connections: 4 battery backup and surge, 4 surge protection only
  • Waveform Type: Stepped approximation to sine wave

Dec 27, 2011 4:53 PM in response to Tony Barone

A 750 VA model (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0278611) might be better, if your current model is 600VA. I subscribe to the idea that buying *just a little bit more* can be a good idea if you plan to keep something in place for 3-4 years. As is, the 750 VA I showed (I have that one) suggests I "add no more devices" at about 60% load.

Or a 1000VA ... http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0329843

Or a 1300VA ... http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0317217

Your call on how much money to spend as "time enough to shutdown cleanly".

UPS Battery Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.