9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2012 12:46 PM by Ecotrust
mrstee Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)

Apple Discussions. This is only with my iOS devices (iPhone 4S & iPad2). I am using 1Password and I copy the password and then go to paste it in and it won't paste. This seems to be the ONLY site that I have this issue with. What's going on? Happy New Year! Judy

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2.53mhz/500G hard drive/Lion
  • deggie Level 9 Level 9 (50,395 points)

For security or whatever the Jive software here does not allow it, possibly because the Apple ID is tied to iTunes accounts.

• mrstee Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)

Thanks. Very frustrating though. I want to get help or help someone else but can't. My password is a good one and therefore not easy to type in. Oh well. Not a big deal in the long run. Thanks for that answer! Judy

• aoz1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

actually  it IS a big deal.

I create passwords that are about 30 characters long, JUST BECAUSE I can, and because of the ease of use of the password programs !!!

that was ultimately the point of security, to make unbreakable passwords.

SO, now, not able to use a large password in these forums, to log on, because I can't paste it.

this is nuts.

• acesOverTens Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I agree... This actually reduces site security becuase people will no longer choose random passwords.

As a work-around you can remove the onpaste JS method using Firebug and the like however when using XCode there is no way to paste in your password.

This is a huge security regression.

• hal.9000 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Blocking password pasting REDUCES SECURITY because people need to use simpler password.

Huge step BACKWARDS in SECURITY.

• IcarusPassion Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm so frustrated by this.  This the most retarted thing I've ever seen a company do. 

As already written, it's a HUGE step backwards. 

If Apple is worried about automated attacks on their site, they should just add a captcha or something. 

This is *horrible*.  Honest to God, it makes me not want to be an Apple customer.

• Ecotrust Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I assume Apple's site designers included this feature to prevent password guessing robots from brute forcing Itunes connect accounts. I can see the reasoning but I also think it's a bad decision. Anyone who is smart enough to write a password-guessing script is going to be able to get around something as simple as the onpaste='return false'; switch.

If anyone can think of another scenearo where blocking pasting would be helpful please post it here. Otherwise, Apple, please remove the onpaste switch in your password field. Many of us rely on things like KeePass and 1Password to manage very complex passwords. Without the ability to paste into the password field we are unable to follow our corporate best practice. This would be a small but helpful way for you to show that you are interested in improving relations between Apple and IT professionals.

Cheers.

• Meg St._Clair Level 8 Level 8 (45,505 points)

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Apple doesn't participate here. It sounds like you have some pretty serious concerns. If you want to let Apple know about them, use the Feedback page:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Best of luck.

• Ecotrust Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm aware. I have given feedback directly to our apple support contacts. I simply wanted to add to this conversation so Apple (who may not participate but definitely has access to this forum) could see that it isn't an isolated case.

as we all know, one forum post = 100,000,000 frustraited users. (simpsons)

-Alex