Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wrong Netflix Audio Language

I am having issues setting the Audio Language in the Netflix App, for exaple in "the hunt fo the red octuber", through the website I can set up the audio language to English, Portuguese and Spanish, and the subtitles to Spanish and Portuguese, but in Apple TV 2 the Audio Language is always set to Portuguese, disregarding the Apple TV configuration which is Audio: English and Subtitles: Spanish. I also tried changing it to Default, but teh result was no different.

If I press the settings button, the ATV gives me the option to change de subtitles, but not the audio.

I am using netflix in Latin America.

Any one has a sugestion????

AppleTV 2

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 6:48 PM

25 replies

Feb 20, 2012 8:13 AM in response to cvollbracht

Ok, I figured out whats the problem. I configured Netflix on my smart TV (LG 47LW6500) and gives me the option to choose audio and subtitles. Then configured my preference on the Netflix web page and set default audio to english. And it is actually working with an exception, the default audio will be english unless there is an other language that has better audio, for example, if the movie has 3 languages English (Stereo), Spanish (Stereo) and Portuguese (Stereo) english will be default, but if the theres a case were 1 of the languages is not stereo but better, as 5.1 Dolby, the better audio will be automatically selected as default, for example if English (Stereo), Spanish (Stereo) and Portuguese (5.1 Dolby), then the movie will play in Portuguese, no matter what your default preference is.

There is no way to fix this, because the ATV does not give the option to change the audio language on Netflix (It does on iTunes), and and Netflix App is omitting the web page preferences and the ATV preferences. Basically is and App problem, I don't know who developed the App, but the problem is definitely the app, that has not implemented all of the options the API allows.

Mar 6, 2012 8:09 AM in response to cvollbracht

Having the same problem, but I'm in Toronto, Ont, Canada, all settings for Netflix and Apple TV2 are set to english but some films continue to only play in french on thre ATV. The odd thing is that I started watching some of the films on my IMAC which of course started in english, but later on wanted to continue watching on my HDTV with the ATV, the film will resume where I stopped on the IMAC but now plays the french audio. I've two ATV2s and both respond the same way, so is this an Apple or Netflix problem or both.

Thanks

Robert

Mar 9, 2012 4:12 AM in response to rob80b

" rob80b

Mar 6, 2012 8:09 AM

Having the same problem, but I'm in Toronto, Ont, Canada, all settings for Netflix and Apple TV2 are set to english but some films continue to only play in french on thre ATV. The odd thing is that I started watching some of the films on my IMAC which of course started in english, but later on wanted to continue watching on my HDTV with the ATV, the film will resume where I stopped on the IMAC but now plays the french audio. I've two ATV2s and both respond the same way, so is this an Apple or Netflix problem or both."

OK! The new update now gives you the choice to chose "Audio"🙂 and or Sub Tiltles in Netflix by holding down the circular enter key for a few seconds while watching the film.

Also the films which started off in French now default to the original English audio track.

Robert

Toronto

Mar 9, 2012 7:25 AM in response to rob80b

Robert, I'm in Toronto too and have the ATV2 to the latest update (the one with a new menu), there's a movie i'm trying to watch and according to the netflix staff it is available in English and French but it only starts in French. I have my settings in English, and tried to hold the circular enter key on the remote as you said but it only prompt me to subtitle options, theres no audio anywhere.

Mar 9, 2012 1:23 PM in response to j82

j82 wrote:

Robert, I'm in Toronto too and have the ATV2 to the latest update (the one with a new menu), there's a movie i'm trying to watch and according to the netflix staff it is available in English and French but it only starts in French. I have my settings in English, and tried to hold the circular enter key on the remote as you said but it only prompt me to subtitle options, theres no audio anywhere.

Hi j82

Which film, I'll see if I get the audio options.

Try "The Score" or "Legion", before the upgrade to 5 they were both in French, now they resume in English with the option to play in French.

Robert

Toronto, Ontario

Mar 9, 2012 1:50 PM in response to rob80b

Hi Robert,

Actually the film i was trying to watch was Legion, and it resumes in French even setting everything to English from the netflix accound and in the apple tv audio options.

And when i try to log out from my netflix account on the apple tv, when i log in again seems like i didnt log out in the first place because it doesnt ask me for username or password.

So after the upgrade it is behaving pretty annoying for me...

Mar 9, 2012 3:21 PM in response to j82

Hi j82

Try going to your Netflix account on line and see if it plays in english and make English the default language in your account settings, might be worth a try.

FYI: When I previously watched the same films on line they played in English when I went to later watch them from my ATV2 they resumed in French.

Mar 10, 2012 1:32 PM in response to rob80b

Thank you Robert,

I've tried everything. But the film keeps starting in French and once it starts i don't have the option on changing the language. It is so silly....

I found a way though, and it is to play it on my ipad and the air play on the apple tv, which would be mirroring from the ipad and in the ipad i do have the option of the Audio...that's the only way.

But i shouldn't have to be doing magic tricks to play a movie that was filmed in English on a device that is supposed to have an competent and practical application for movie rentals...

Thanks for the help seriously...take care

Wrong Netflix Audio Language

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.