Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Macs come with antivirus software?

Does the MacBook Pro come with antivirus software? I'm a fisrt time mac owner. If not, what is good for mac?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 6:32 PM

10 replies

Oct 15, 2017 9:22 PM in response to LinKz

People do write viruses for osx. And Macs do get viruses

Please site an example (6 years after the question was asked).

(As there are currently NO viri for Mac, it'll be a little difficult, but please try). There is adware and malware, but those are different and can be disposed of running Malware Bytes.

Oct 16, 2017 6:48 AM in response to LinKz

LinKz wrote:

Wow that's really sad I bet there are millions of people doing exactly what you are doing. First off you are 110% incorrect. People do write viruses for osx. And Macs do get viruses. You are risking a lot when you compute without protection. Especially if you are a business.

Like babowa, I'd like to see your citations about any current viruses (or trojans, even) in the wild that affect Macs.

Oct 16, 2017 6:48 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

People do write viruses for osx. And Macs do get viruses

Please site an example (6 years after the question was asked).

(As there are currently NO viri for Mac, it'll be a little difficult, but please try). There is adware and malware, but those are different and can be disposed of running Malware Bytes.

I suspect he's a drive-by.

Dec 27, 2011 7:01 PM in response to steve359

steve359 wrote:

Under "System Preferences > Security", there is a "Firewall", which was turned OFF by default on my system, but should be turned on.

I disagree with that. If you are behind a router there is no need for a computer firewall. All they seem to do is make it harder to network the computer with others. There is a reason it is turned off by default, IE it is not needed. But it is there for the paranoid among us.

Do Macs come with antivirus software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.