Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATI Radeon 6750 HD driver update, Bootcamp Win 7 - 32bit

I am losing my cool trying to find a direct way to update the drivers for my video card on my 2011 MacBook Pro. There seems to be no clear cut answer only menial work arounds. Why would apple give us bootcamp if it lacks a very important functionality? I have tried to download the proper driver from amd directly but that doesnt work. My performance drop through the floor.

2011 MBP

2.2ghz I-7 proc w/ sandybridge

4 gigs ram

Radeon HD 6750 1gig GDDR5

Seriously Im trying to run SWTOR in Bootcamp, and its not right. I need a good working radeon driver that is current and compatible with Windows 7 32 Bit.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 7:14 PM

13 replies

Dec 28, 2011 12:58 AM in response to Jaizo

Jaizo wrote:

There seems to be no clear cut answer only menial work arounds...........

So.... What's your question?

You need to tell us exactly what problems your having.😉

If you've done a search in these forums already then what doesn't work?

Have you upated the Apple drivers on the Windows side? There is an Apple Software Updater in Windows.

Usually if there's a problem installing the Boot Camp drivers then just reinstalling them then updating them again while in Windows work for some.

Extracting only the drivers your having issues with and just installing those usually work.

Searching problems for your model you may find exactly which drivers work and where to download and use.

Do a search for _ MacBook Pro video problems _ would be a start.

Good luck...

Dec 28, 2011 12:25 PM in response to Jaizo

I'm having a similar problem with my Macbook Pro 17" and 6770M, at the native 1920x1200 resolution, on Win7 64 bit. SWTOR runs poorly with whatever settings I choose, including everything set to "low," "off," and "0." The visuals appear jerky, almost as though the environment is not moving with me as I run and is snapping into place after a second or so. Oddly, FRAPS reports frame rates no lower than the 30s.

I installed the Windows drivers that came with Bootcamp 4.0. Like the OP, I can't find reliable information on how to update the GPU drivers beyond that. The Windows device manager indicates a driver version of 8.812, from 1/4/11, which is outdated. The latest version of this driver is 11.12 from earlier this month. http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx#2

I'm traveling today and plan to work on this over the weekend. But it would be nice to discover the correct or "official" way to update GPU drivers in Boot Camp. Keeping this driver up-to-date is a fundamental aspect of computer care, and is necessary for system stability and performance.

Dec 28, 2011 2:22 PM in response to SmackMasterson

@SmackMasterson

There aren't "separate" Boot Camp drivers via Apple Software Updater in Windows. It's all or nothing, it's a combined Boot Camp file. If the updater isn't showing any updates available then your up to date.

You both might try to reinstall the drivers again and see if it makes a difference. If you have the MacOS install DVD then insert it while booted into Windows and you should have an option to "repair" them and just update them again. But it will reinstall ALL of them. You could try to extract just the video driver and just install that one.

Using the Apple Software Updater (or the download site) is the only "Official" way to update Apple drivers.

@Jaizo

You did as @AppsAndHacks said, right? After the Windows install you have to insert the MacOS DVD (USB stick) in order to install all the Boot Camp drivers. BC 4.1 is the latest version but I don't know of any other way to download it other then the software updater.

All I can say is to do a search on these forums or the internet with you model and see what comes up, sorry.

Dec 30, 2011 9:40 PM in response to SmackMasterson

Here is a well-written, comprehensive guide to installing the 11.12 Catalyst Display Driver in Boot Camp, specifically with SWTOR in mind.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=105045

Here's a quick overview of the process. It seems pretty straightforward and not at all shady or overly technical.

1. Download 2 files direct from AMD: The Boot Camp graphics drivers and the latest (11.12) Win7 Catalyst display driver.
  2. Un-install your current Boot Camp graphics drivers via the device manager; restart.
  3. Re-install the Boot Camp graphics drivers via the device manager, directing it to the new downloaded file. Restart.
  4. Install the 11.12 Catalyst Display Drivers by running the downloaded .exe file.

I haven't tried it yet. Elsewhere, I see that some people are having trouble with 11.12, and prefer 11.11 for gaming. I'll continue researching a bit before I install.

Apr 9, 2014 11:07 AM in response to Jaizo

This may be an old post, but for those still looking for an answer you can get the 13.12 (December 2013) AMD graphics driver from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/915fpdtgbgoksct/kOY7bKHgKq Select "Download->Download as .zip".

I only modded the driver for the windows 7 64-bit install, so if you using windows 8 under bootcamp you'll have to follow the included instructions yourself.

Please let me know/like this post if this works for you. (It would be great if you could report whether it worked based on using Win 7 or Win 8)

ATI Radeon 6750 HD driver update, Bootcamp Win 7 - 32bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.