Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fixing this error: "error: no such partition" "Grub Rescue"?

Before re-paritioning my HDD back to 1 partition only using Disk Utility on my OS X install DVD, I had a triple boot with Snow Leopard, Win7, and Ubuntu using refit.

To back up, I partitioned an external HDD into two partitions. I used one partition for time machine for my OS X partition, and the other partition for a backup image of my Bootcamp partition using Winclone.

After partitioning my main HDD back to 1 partition, I restored using my time machine backup, then using Bootcamp assistant on my newly restored OS X I created a new partition for Win7 (slightly larger than before). Then I restored the Winclone image to the new Bootcamp partition.

When trying to get into Bootcamp through refit, I get the error described in the title. If I attempt to hold option during boot, I will get two boot options, refit and Windows. Pressing Windows will also give me this error. How can I fix this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 15" 2.66 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 500 GB

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 7:53 PM

I managed to fix it. For those who want the solution, simply run this command from OS X:

sudo fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

4 replies

Fixing this error: "error: no such partition" "Grub Rescue"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.