2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2012 1:29 PM by southerngrl
GilTaylor Level 1 (0 points)

i have an iPhone 4 and we just bought an iTouch for my daughter.  the advertisement material indicates we should be able to text or do facetime as long as there is a wifi connection.  I can't figure out how to do it. 

on the iTouch, when she tries to message, me she gets an error that i am not signed up for iMessage.  from the iPhone, i can't see anyway to identify her.  do i need another software to message her?  the software that came with her iTouch looks like the same messaging software i use.  i do know she was able to message her friend that has an iPhone.

What am i doing wrong?

• cashew115 Level 1 (35 points)

iMessage is a new software by apple that came out with iOS 5. You need to download iOS 5 on your iPhone 4 before you can text your daughter on her iTouch. You can do this by connecting to iTunes with your iPhone and checking for any updates, and it should come up. After that, you'll be able to message your daughter through your iPhone.

• southerngrl Level 1 (10 points)

With the iPhone, create a contact for the person with the iTouch.  There will not be a phone number to enter like you normally do, but enter in the Apple ID for the iTouch user under the e-mail section of the contact.

When you go to message from iPhone to iTouch, just type in the contact name and it should message the iTouch via Apple ID.