Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad won't Change from Portrait to Lanscape!

I got my iPad 2 a couple of days ago and found that the screen would not rotate from the normal portrait to landscape!

I thought that this maybe an issue with iOS 4.3 so I upgraded to iOS 5.1 and thought it would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I have confirmed that the switch is set so that it isn't locking the screen and there are no apps open in the Multitaking bar so there would not be an offending app! I have restarted the device several times and it still doesn't come through!

If anyone could help me with this problem, I would be really greatful!

Thanks

Luke

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 1:13 AM

1 reply

Dec 28, 2011 3:54 AM in response to techbannana

Is there a lock symbol at the top of the screen next to the battery indicator ? If so, then depending on what you've got Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to (rotation lock or mute notifications), then you can lock/unlock the rotation by the switch on the right hand side of the iPad, or via the taskbar : double-click the home button; slide from the left; and it's the icon far left; press home again to exit the taskbar. The function that isn't on the side switch is set via the taskbar instead : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

If there isn't a lock symbol then try a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot. If that doesn't fix it then there might be a problem with the accelerometer in it, in which case you probably need to contact Apple

My iPad won't Change from Portrait to Lanscape!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.