Skip navigation

Launchpad and Mission Control lag

1801 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2013 9:45 PM by Budijoe RSS
macdudepro Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 28, 2011 2:01 AM

Hey guys!

So recently I installed AutoCAD and it was giving me a bit of grief with graphics so I uninstalled it. Upon doing so I've noticed that when I entered Launchpad, going from page to page lagged going back and forth. ALSO, ive noticed that entering Mission Control that it is no longer smooth. The best way I can explain the latter is that everytime I swipe up (4 fingers) the windows don't transition smoothly into the Mission Control screen, rather it just suddenly resizes. Impulsively, I have reinstalled Lion and it (not surprisingly) has not resolved it and now I'm hoping you guys can help!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Early 2011 15" i7 2.2GHz
  • softwater Level 5 Level 5 (5,370 points)
    Dec 28, 2011 2:51 AM (in response to macdudepro)

Have a look in Activity Monitor and see if any autocad processes are running. Alternatively, open Terminal.app

and type (or cut and paste)

launchctl list

to see what launch daemons are running.

Dec 28, 2011 4:13 AM (in response to macdudepro)

Best thing I can suggest is to post the output to these commands (paste them into Terminal). Take each at a time, and copy the output into a file and paste here.

kextstat -kl | awk ' !/apple/ { print $6 $7 } '

sudo launchctl list | sed 1d | awk ' !/0x|apple|com\.vix|edu\.|org\./ { print $3 } '

(you will need to enter an admin password after this, which will be invisible when you type it)

launchctl list | sed 1d | awk ' !/0x|apple|edu\.|org\./ { print $3 } '

ls -1A {,/}Library/{Ad,Compon,Ex,Fram,In,La,Mail/Bu,P*P,Priv,Qu,Scripti,Ser,Sta}* 2> /dev/null

If you have a mobile.me account, be sure to replace your mobile.me email with a dummy (it will be shown in the output)

Dec 28, 2011 5:31 PM (in response to macdudepro)

Have a look at that SwitchResX app. Return any prefs to default. Disable any scripts (if you've set any up). Better still, remove it completely.

• MaxDerBlau Calculating status...
    Aug 5, 2013 1:01 PM (in response to macdudepro)

Hey you, and others,

I had the same problems (mission control not running smooth) and read this hypothesis that AutoCAD might be to blame. I have a macbook pro, i7 processor, running mountain lion (installed off the app store, no disc), and a few of heavy graphic programs and AutoCAD.

My solution: I simply opened and quit AutoCAD and voilà! The problem has been resolved ever since. Hopefully it will stay this way.

To me its like if my computer was stuck in the "AutoCAD mode". I hadn't used autocad since this problem appeared, which is probably when it first appeared. I had been using autocad long before and didn't have that problem ever. And then it just started one day. Maybe my autocad hadn't shut down properly last time i had used it?

Hope this is the simple solution to your, and others, problem!

• Budijoe Calculating status...
    Sep 9, 2013 9:45 PM (in response to MaxDerBlau)

Hi Max.

Your solution work like a charm.

In my case, not only Launchpad and Mission Control which laggy, but the Dock animation as well.

I can confirm this is work for me. Others who have the same issue should try it.

Thank you.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.