Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adjust screen brightness

Hey guys,

So I have a Macbook Air 2011 and currently hooked up to the 27in Thunderbolt Cinema Display. I love the huge screen but the only thing that is driving me nuts is that I cannot adjust the screen brightness on the Thunderbolt Display. I'm not mirroring the screen but I need to figure this out before I end up breaking my cinema display.. any help would be Very much appreciated!!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Yong

Thunderbolt Display-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 8:06 AM

9 replies

Jan 10, 2012 12:22 PM in response to choa201

You should be able to adjust the brightness of any Apple screen attached to your MBA in your System Preferences "Displays" panel.

Also, if you use the MBA in "clamshell mode" (i. e. connect the external display and use it with your MBA "closed"), the brightness keys on your keyboard should automatically control the brightness of your Thunderbold Display.

Hope this helps.

Mar 17, 2014 5:57 PM in response to kkjacks

KKJacks, that is the exact solution. I was having same problem with 13" MBA connected to Apple Cinema Display. Brightness controls from Mac external keyboard would not work with adjusting the cinema display. In my case I have the MBA in clamshell mode but I only connect the power and thunderbolt cables. I don't usually connect the USB cable.

I attached the USB cable from the cinema display and voila, brightness controls now work from the keyboard.

Well done, totally fixed it for me. It's not necessarily intuitive to think that the USB cable would need to be attached to enable brightness controls from a wireless keyboard, so I'm glad I came across this!

adjust screen brightness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.