Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

over heating /, over heating ?, over heating ?

what happens when they over heat?
should i worry? how to prevent it

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 7:32 AM

11 replies

Dec 28, 2011 8:05 AM in response to Ashleytess

A month ago my MBP fan started whirling loudly and the machine was very warm. I researched the issue in the MBP Apple forums and eventually downloaded FanControl, which got put in System Preferences. A few tweeks of fan speed and heating temps, and no more loud whirling. You do need the fans to control overeating, just not at the low default settings. I also elevated the laptop on a low, upside down monitor stand which also seems to help with air flow around the computer.

Dec 28, 2011 8:13 AM in response to Ashleytess

Why do you think your computer is overheating?

Use something like iStat to report temperatures.

Fan control is a band-aid which may come back and bite you. You shouldn't need it in any case. (Just my opinion, of course.)

Assuming your computer really is overheating, better to figure out what is causing the problem.

Two things to consider:

(1) Use Activity Monitor to see if any processes are using lots of CPU.

(2) Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller ...

charlie

Dec 29, 2011 4:41 AM in response to Ashleytess

over heating can damage the hardweres severely, so avoid it.

simple tips to prevent over heating:

dont place ur laptop on a soft surface like a pillow.

keep the bottom front part of the laptop open, ie, dont put an obstacle in front of it. so the fans can move away the heat easily.

in case u feel its getting much hotter then usual, turn it off and give it rest till it cools down. dont use it when the heat is high.

maintaining these should be enough to not have any over heating at all.

Mar 19, 2012 9:50 AM in response to Ashleytess

The term "overheating" without any hard data is fairly subjective. As was recommended, install the free iStat Pro:

http://islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

This will let you know your actual temperatures and we'll be able to give you a little more feedback with respect to what your temps actually are.

It is normal for your system to feel warm. I wouldn't be too concerned until we see something to actually be concerned about.

Dec 25, 2013 5:18 AM in response to Ashleytess

I have couple of iPhone 5 , 16 & 64gig and i use 3G on both of them but 64gig gets over heated and I can even feel it on my lap when it's inside my pockets but the 16 gig doesn't gets that problem. In India Apple has its worst service providers , few months before for 1st time when i took it for service the guys in support team closed all my running apps and he said it won't any more I even told him I tried even restoring it but still it gets heated in using 3G on sim slot side of the phone he said its nothing , this month when I gave it to service they said you have no heating issue I tried telling them that I have same phone 16gig and I use 3G on it to but that doesn't heat but these service guys aren't help full I hate apple service.. And I do not know even what to do to fix my phone.. Any help..?

over heating /, over heating ?, over heating ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.