Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MS Word won't open old MS Word files

We've got a new MacBook Pro, running Lion, with MS Word 2011 for Mac. We've just copied over our old MS Word (Mac) files, with the .doc file ending. I think the files were created in MS Word 2004, some files even ealier than this. The new MS Word 2011 (which we've updated) will open the old files. We have to open the file in Word using "recover text from any file" --- but they loose all their formatting.

How can we open the files and not loose the formatting?

Thank you

Mark

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply
5 replies

Dec 28, 2011 9:38 AM in response to CT

Thanks for the links. We've tried Microsofts recommendations:

Check for updates

Open the file within Word

Open the file within Word using the "recover text from any file" option

but as warned by Word we loose all formatting: tables, pics, type styling etc and there are pages of gibberish at the end of the documents.

Surely Word 2011 can open .doc files without loosing formatting!?

Mark

Dec 28, 2011 10:21 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Sparky Marky wrote:

That's interesting. How do you do it?

Are you using Lion? Do you have to open the files within Word (you can't double click on them)? And do you have to open the files within Word by using "recover text from any file" option? I presume your old files have .doc ending, or have you changed this?

Thanks for any guidance

Yes using Lion on Mac and both Win 7 Pro and XP Pro on PC hardware. On PCs I have Office 2000 installed, yes even in Win 7 (and Win 8 Preview, Office 2000 installed without a problem). On Mac I have Office 2011 Mac, and all updates.

As far as the files they are all in a folder called My Documents on both systems. I change/edit or create files on either system then I use a Sync program to sync the My Docs folder between all PCs and Mac. If I'n sitting at one of the PCs and need to open any doc I just open it, word opens and loads the file. Same for if I'm sitting at the Mac. I have Word files that were created on Word 95 (or whatever that was called) Word 98 and now 2000 and Mac 2011.

Never had any problems. Even if by accident I save a file in the new DOCX format on the Mac. I have the Document converter program installed on the PCs that only have Office 2000 installed.

Sorry I don't have any real tips for you as mine Just Works, both Windows and Mac.

New MS Word won't open old MS Word files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.