Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard as a virtual machine with broken DVD drive

I upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard.

Additionally, i've got a broken DVD drive on my Macbook Pro and want to install Snow Leopard as a virtual machine.

How do I do this?

Regards

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 12:22 PM

10 replies

Dec 28, 2011 2:42 PM in response to dude12321

Nice idea with the time machine backup, I can try that. I've already got the SL install disc, so I don't need to get it from the Apple Store.

I guess an external DVD-burner would solve the problem, that might be worth a try, but then i'd still need this burner.

Can I contact Apple somehow and they might provide a download for my Snow Leopard? Too bad this isn't possible already, I wonder how Macbook Air people are handling such problems. We're in 2011 ! :-)

Dec 28, 2011 3:26 PM in response to dude12321

dude12321 wrote:

Nice idea with the time machine backup, I can try that. I've already got the SL install disc, so I don't need to get it from the Apple Store.

Then, why did you post: "…can i download a copy of my Snow Leopard somewhere from Apple?" SL isn't available via download.

Can I contact Apple somehow and they might provide a download for my Snow Leopard?

See first response. As for MBA users, they're hosed and have to rely on getting SL from???

Dec 29, 2011 6:25 AM in response to dude12321

As mentioned, the consumer Snow Leopard license does not allow running in a virtual machine, only the more expensive server Snow Leopard license allows running in a virtual machine.

However, you can boot under Snow Leopard, and then run Lion in a virtual machine. You could give Lion the "Lion Share" of your system's resources, and then spend most of your time in the Lion virtual machine. When your PowerPC dependent app has been replaced with something that runs on Lion, you can switch over to full time booting Lion.

I know it is not really a great way to go, but if you really need this PowerPC app enough, it might be worth it. Or just stay on Snow Leopard until you no longer have a PowerPC code dependency.

Dec 29, 2011 7:07 AM in response to dude12321

Thanks for all of your answers!

Too bad it's not allowed, I don't see the reason why. You guys mention a lot of possible solutions, but the app isn't important enought for me to go either way.

I guess I won't use the app then. The only question that remains is how I can contact Apple via Mail (or similar), to make my suggestion (allow operating system downloads and virtual machine usage like for example Blizzard do with all of their games). Do you know a proper way to put a suggestion?

Snow Leopard as a virtual machine with broken DVD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.