Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 Completing Installation + Bootcamp + Freezing

Hi All,

I have read the forum and see that it is quite common that the Windows 7 is freezing up on the "completing installation". I have tried a few of the suggestions, for example, increasing hardrive from 25G to 60G and even putting a USB keyboard and touching keys on it, and well, nothing has worked. Here are the details:

1. 2010 Core Duo 2 Intel MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) with 4G Ram

2. I successfully installed W7 on this MacBook Pro once with 25G of ram, but had to restore my lion and destroyed the W7 partition.

3. Reloaded Lion

4. Went to bootcamp to install W7

5. Made the MacBook Pro OS bootcamp DVD (with the drivers I assume)

6. Made attempt 4 times with 60G partition to install W7

7. When installing W7 did the advance and custom option formatting drive to NSTF

8. Windows 7 will reboot once and then freeze on completing installation, even the mouse arrow freezes

I need some realistic solutions that will fix this problem. I have paid my dues, I have read the forum solutions, nothing worked that I tried.

I need to install W7 for graduate school work, otherwise would be quite content to remain pure Mac OSX user. I don't want to have to dump

my MacBook Pro over issues like this, but rather piqued at boot camp giving me so much trouble. I would rather run W7 natively on this macbook

rather than use some crap like parallel desktop which is horrible and slows performance down.

Warm Regards,

Geeky

PS - Mac fanboys unite, please help out a brother on this one.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 3:42 PM

Anytime freezing is happening it's because something is wrong: ESD, bad RAM, or some piece of attached hardware that the Windows installer doesn't like. So you need to eliminate all variables and go with a totally barebones system. I would even consider that the DVD installer might be suspect. Did you verify the DVD?

Otherwise, I think that compared to it not working, a VM would be quite a bit faster than the present status. I use VirtualBox. Free. Supports multiple CPUs for VMs, etc.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2011 3:42 PM in response to GeekyOmega

Anytime freezing is happening it's because something is wrong: ESD, bad RAM, or some piece of attached hardware that the Windows installer doesn't like. So you need to eliminate all variables and go with a totally barebones system. I would even consider that the DVD installer might be suspect. Did you verify the DVD?

Otherwise, I think that compared to it not working, a VM would be quite a bit faster than the present status. I use VirtualBox. Free. Supports multiple CPUs for VMs, etc.

Dec 28, 2011 3:55 PM in response to Christopher Murphy

Hi Mr. Murphy,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I don't believe anything is wrong with my hardware (bad ram, ESD, and etc). However, I do agree that there is something that the Windows installer doesn't like. I am already barebones, per say, as I am still running on out of factory hardware. Is there anyway I can verify that my hardware is working appropriately in Mac osx?

As for the DVD, it's legitimate copy and DVD from MS. I even tried the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit. Hence, there is definitely something with my environment that it doesn't like. I just wish there was a way I could determine what that was.

I'll consider VM as a last resort, but what really weirds me out is that this went in two months ago and now it is not. Granted, I was operating on the first version of Lion.

I have this on warranty still. Would you advise I take this to a apple store and see what they find?

Warm Regards,

Geeky

Dec 28, 2011 6:18 PM in response to GeekyOmega

The computer comes with two disks, one of which is a hardware test. Insert, and startup with 'd' key. I'd run the extended test and see if it comes up with anything. If an Apple Store is convenient, I'd go there also. Tell them exaclty what you've done and see what they have to say about it.

A number of linux distributions come with an aggressive memory tester called Memtest86+ that's been around for a long time, and enhanced over the years. You could download one, such as Fedora 16 Live CD (either 32 or 64 bit doesn't matter). Burn a CD or DVD with it, and boot using the 'c' key. Troubleshooting menu contains the memory test.

Windows 7 Completing Installation + Bootcamp + Freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.