1. I plan to backup my PC to this TC. If I had a mac I could use time machine but being as I have a pc what is recommend to perform the backup to the TC? I am looking for a bare metal type of backup. Can acronis true image backup to the TC and more importantly boot and restore from the TC?
Backup from a PC is fine.. you can use Microsoft backup if you can stomach it.. apparently the latest version for win7 can do a restore.. My experience with MS backup is to suggest it is last resort.
I use Macrium Reflect.. which can do a restore using either windows pe or linux boot disk. Free for the straight full metal backup as you call it. You need to pay to get incremental.
You can use clonezilla.. it is a great backup runs from linux boot cd. No incremental.
2. My iTunes library is currently stored on my pc. Is there any value in moving this to the time capsule for use with other devices like iPhone or apple tv? Will I be able to play my entire iTunes music library direct from the TC to iPhone, apple tv etc?
TC is fairly much unsuitable for itunes as it has no backup.. it is a backup device that cannot back itself up. It will become unreliable at some point.. and die later. Where will your library be backed up to.. the pc?? If so you may as well just keep the library there. And keep using the TC to back it up. The TC has no smarts whatsoever.. no media server.. nothin'. There are a host of other reasons. Eg slow spin up and quick spin down of the hard disk will give errors on devices looking for the library.
3. I have connected my printer to the TC (non AirPrint printer). I can print from my pc using bonjour print services. Should I now be able to print from my iPhone to the printer via the TC?
That is why you buy an airprint.. you cannot print from the TC it is, as I said, a singularly dumb box. There might be apps made now for iphone to print to non-airprint printers.. look them up. It will use Mac share though and I am not sure it can handle a pc. Welcome to Apple single market.. if you want it to work, you better jolly well buy it from apple.
4. My old wifi router supported dydns. It doesn't look like the TC does. Is there a way to get a standard free dydns account working on the TC?
Same same.. TC is a singularly dumb box.. no body should need dyndns because they have mobileme.. woopss Apple also cancelled that service.. hmmm.
You need to use google btw.. this took me 10sec to find.
5. My TC appears to run quite hot, is this normal?
you betcha.. that is why I mentioned it is not a good idea to keep your itunes library on it.. hot = bad for electronics.. google dead time capsule sometime.
6. Do you have any other cool uses for the TC that you would be willing to share and that would enhance my existing apple portfolio of product (apart from the PC)?
Hmmm TC are too dumb to do much of anything really.. it is a backup device for time machine.. the only extensions provided are for TM.
In fact it is better to use another router.. one that has dyndns.. and QoS, and Firewall, and upnp which Apple forgot.. and use TC in bridge. Works great with TM though.