Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your HDMI cable does not support HDCP

I turned on my Apple TV and it asked if I wanted to upgrade. I said Upgrade Now.

Now I am getting the message "Your HDMI cable does not support HDCP" when I try to watch a film on Netflix.

I have been using it with no problems for almost a year now.

The television is less than a year old.

I tried THREE different HDMI cables (including the one I bought from the Apple Store!) and all recieve the same message.

Please advise.

(I have tried unplugging in certain orders the power cables and the HDMI cables and replugging in etc as per other suggestions.)

Does not work still.

Why would it work fine yesterday, I upgrade, and now it doesn't work?

HELP

Apple TV

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 5:08 PM

5 replies

Jan 7, 2012 11:03 AM in response to lordword

lordword wrote:

Now I am getting the message "Your HDMI cable does not support HDCP" when I try to watch a film on Netflix.

Does it really say that? If so, the message is nonsense, because all HDMI cables support HDCP. It is the devices on either end that can have problems.

If you've power-cycled and everything, there's nothing left to do but restore the previous firmware. To everyone else reading this, if you're on firmware 4.3 or earlier, DON'T ALLOW THE ATV TO UPDATE FIRMWARE. The 4.4 "upgrade" has been a disaster, introducing numerous bugs, from breaking the optical output to the Airplay two-step to all these HDCP issues that have recently been coming up.

Nov 18, 2012 5:37 PM in response to lordword

Brought home a Samsung 51" Plasma hooked up the HDMI from Apple TV and received the "Your HDMI cable does not support HDCP". Apple TV was on when I plugged the HDMI cable in so I turned off the TV, unplugged it, and then unplugged the Apple TV. I waited 10-20 seconds, plugged in the TV and then powered on. Next, plugged in Apple TV, made sure source on TV was correct and presto.........Apple TV

Your HDMI cable does not support HDCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.