Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S does not work with AirPlay speakers

So I've been looking to find an AirPlay speaker for use with my apple products. I've found out that NO 3rd Party AirPlay speakers work with the iPhone 4S. which leads me to beleive that the iPhone 4S is defective or has changed something in the way it uses AirPlay that causes it to not work with 3rd party speakers. these 3rd party speakers do with with ALL other apple devices.

I find it extremely dissapointing that Apple is not helping these manufacturers resolve this issue. I called apple support and they say it's their issue not an Apple issue and they are unaware of any AirPlay issues with the 4S.

The iHome iW1 - Does not work with 4S - here's the link to their site:

https://www.ihomeaudio.com/support/product/iW1BC/ - see under AirPlay & Network support.

"We are aware there is an issue with using AirPlay on the iPhone 4S with AirPlay-enabled speakers, including the iHome iW1. Apple engineering is aware of this issue and working on providing a remedy."

The Philips Fidelio line (any of their products) do not work:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=US&mid=Link_FAQs&view=a a12_view_partial.html&session=20111229020116_71.235.217.186&list=aa12_list_parti al.html&slg=AEN&ctn=DS8800W/37&dct=FAQ&refnr=0090650&faqview=1

"We are aware of a playback issue with the iPhone 4S and AirPlay enabled speakers. We are currently looking into resolving this issue together with Apple. We will communicate immediately when a solution is available. Alternatively please use other products to enjoy AirPlay streaming."

Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air - does not work with the iPhone 4S:

http://bowersandwilkins.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/242/p/6,7/related/1

iPhone 4S owners may experience problems when streaming audio to Zeppelin Air. Bowers & Wilkins and technology partners are working with Apple to resolve this issue. We will let you know when a solution is available.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1, 4S drop out does not work Airplay

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 5:07 PM

9 replies

Dec 28, 2011 5:14 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Well, not sure there is a technical question because the 4S is a defective product... I'm looking to make others aware of the known issue with the 4S before they buy a 4S, an AirPlay speaker or go through hours of frustration and dissappointment to find out that the 4S doesn't work with ANY 3rd party AirPlay products.

Dec 28, 2011 5:25 PM in response to gdgmacguy

no offense intended, but I don't think you pay much attention to this specific subject... it's well known and documented. here's 1 example link... easy to find another 100 out there in 2 seconds of searching. and the links in my original post clearly show the defect across multiple manufacturers.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3413370

If you read here on some of the updates. it look slike it is fixed in iOS 5.1 Beta 2... so it is a confirmed apple defect.

Dec 28, 2011 5:58 PM in response to deggie

Communicate. Not tell customers it's NOT an Apple problem. Two big things that go a long way. I called apple support 3 times on this and they all say the same thing "it's 3rd party and not supported" and "It works with apple TV so therefore it's not a problem.

And get the fix out ASAP.... it's probably being held up for some other fluff reasons. it would be nice if apple had a patch hotfix system rather then a single release every few months causing people to go extended periods dealing with defects in their product.

An since it's not fixed as of yet . it's an issue and people should be aware of it.

Dec 28, 2011 6:08 PM in response to Kring

Depending on what tier of support you were talking with they may not have known about this problem. I generally look both places for an answer, as I did back in iOS 3.x days with a problem with my Zeppelin and was able to find out the issue.

iOS 5.0.1 has not been out very long. iOS 5.1 is in testing for such "fluff" reasons as battery life, problem with reading some microSIMS, and other trivial things like that. Not sure that anyone has a patch hotfix system for their phones, tablets, computers, etc. the cost would be tremendous and testing would be a nightmare.

iPhone 4S does not work with AirPlay speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.