Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate from iMac G5 w/Leopard to iMac (Intel) w/Tiger

I'm giving my daughter my 2007 iMac Intel. It came with Tiger and the upgrade dvd to Leopard, and I have since upgraded it to Lion.

Her iMac G5 (PPC) is running Leopard.

I erased the 2007 iMac so she would have a clean install from the backup of her G5. However, I don't know how I can upgrade the Intel back to at least Leopard so I can migrate her data and they would both have the same OS for the transfer. Can you transfer data from Leopard down to Tiger? It doesn't seem like that would be a good idea.

Can I just make a dummy account to do the Leopard upgrade and delete it later? Will that affect the migration of her stuff, home folder, user name?

Thanks, Sandy

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 6:56 PM

8 replies

Dec 29, 2011 9:12 AM in response to Twingirlz

Hmmm, I just verified that the latest Lion Migration Assistant does see a 10.5.8 drive/install to migrate from, so not sure what the problem is here.

The G5 iMac shows a big floating FW symbol on the screen?

You have them connected with a Firewire cable?

On the new one you chose From a Time Machine backup or other Disk?

In the next step, Choose your system, the G5's drive showed up as a Firewire drive/icon?

Dec 29, 2011 9:37 AM in response to BDAqua

Well, Lion is not on either machine at the moment, if that matters. The G5 is Leopard and the Intel is Tiger (I've got the upgrade dvd for Leopard).

The G5 has the floating FW symbol on the screen.

They are connected with a FW 400/800 cable. The cable works as I used it to do a back up to SuperDuper! last night.

On the new Intel, it did not take me to the Time Machine option as that isn't part of Tiger 10.4. That was my main concern, how could I could install the upgrade to Leopard DVD without making a user account. I thought once I made a user account I would not be able to migrate correctly from the G5 or a Time Machine backup.

It only got me about 4 steps in...pick the language, options to transfer from another computer (from another partition or do nothing), attach FW and restart in target mode, and then the screen where it tells you it's looking for the target drive it may take 30 seconds or more. That's where the message came into play.

I'm wondering if I just set the new Intel up with her same user name/home folder, upgrade with the dvd to Leopard and then somehow try to do an erase and install with the Time Machine backup or the SuperSuper backup.

She's in high school and doesn't have a lot on the current machine, maybe 90 GB used. I think I can easily move folders she's made for school papers and stuff. We share iTunes on my mac, so hers is not sync'd to, so nothing lost there. The biggest thing would be bookmarks and the iPhoto library (approx 2K pics).

Dec 29, 2011 2:17 PM in response to BDAqua

I got it going. I did the Leopard upgrade on the 2007 iMac. It wouldn't let me keep her same name when I started to use the Time Machine backup to migrate. So I made a test user account (and deleted the one I had made matching her current iMac) and then decided to just attach the firewire and use Migration Assistant. When I verified it was all up and running, I deleted the test user account.

Everything works fine. Now upgrading back to Snow Leopard and then Lion, like it was before I handed it over to her!

Thanks for the help.

Migrate from iMac G5 w/Leopard to iMac (Intel) w/Tiger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.