Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time for a new MBP...

Please forgive my post as I'm sure people are tired of this question, but I'd like to ask with details about how I work.

My current MBP is an early 2010 with the following:

3.06 GHZ Core 2 Duo

8 GIG ram - 1067 MHZ DDR3

NVIDIA GoForce 9600M GT 512 MB

I bought this to edit video, and it has worked great. Just a side note, I bought this and 1 month later the new i7's came out!! Ugh.

Anyway, as I was saying, it's working fine, but now that I'm using FCPX and Motion, it's acting a bit tired, and I usually get a new computer every 2 years anyway.

My question is this, will the new TOP of the line MBP provide a noticable difference from my current MBP? Or should I be leaning towards a new iMac?

Thanks

Tony

MacBookPro - 15, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 3.06 GHZ - 8GIG ram

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 9:50 PM

2 replies

Dec 29, 2011 4:25 AM in response to Tony Reidsma

Sig obliquely raises a good point ie. iMacs do not travel well. The issue you have to decide is performance versus portability. You would gain a lot more performance with an iMac for the work you are doing than with a newer MBP and it would be less expensive!

You might consider installing a SSD to speed up your current MBP. This might be one of the few instance that would make them cost effective.

Look at this link. It might help you gage what kind of performance increases you can expect. The OWC website also has bench test results

.http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

Ciao.

Time for a new MBP...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.