Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDV4 in a .mov file won't play back using any software

Issue:

I had 4 DVDs sent to me containing a bunch of .mov files that won't play back in any of the following apps:

QuickTime 7 Pro (includes Mpeg2 codec from Apple's Web site) - sends me to Apple.com's QT plugins page

Mpeg Streamclip - loads only some on batch import, but mostly displays white and plays the audio

HandBrake - Says not a valid source

VLC Player - error says that HDV4 files cannot be played

QuickTime Player - says format isn't a format that QT recognizes

I need to get this into a format usable by FCE. I'm running the most up-to-date 10.6 Snow Leopard, and the last version of FCE. How can I do this without losing my current version of iTunes or Final Cut Express?

Vent:

As videographers gradually move to hard-drive based cameras, their ability to submit their footage becomes more and more difficult. As a result, we get DVDs, flash drives, 64 GB memory sticks, and more. It seems like each one uses a different file format, and every format is proprietary. Where is a standards committee when you need one? Where is the open-source format?

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 2:01 AM

1 reply

HDV4 in a .mov file won't play back using any software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.