Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My new IPAD2 will not connect to my Tiscali mail account. Just says "cannot connect using SSL. do you want to try setting up account without SSL?' If I try that the result is the same. Tiscali settings appear ok. Any ideas?

My new IPAD2 will not connect to my Tiscali mail account during initial mail set up. Just says 'cannot connect using SSL. Do you want to try setting up account without SSL' If I try that the result is the same. Tiscali settings entered automatically by IPAD appear ok. Password is correct. I get same results if I try to set up a connection to my wife's Tiscali mail account. Any advice about this problem please?

iPad 2, Windows XP

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 4:48 AM

7 replies

Dec 29, 2011 6:01 AM in response to jamesfrommarnhull

James, I have a Tiscali mail acount and am having no problems at all, well that is apart from the odd occasions when mail says that I may have an incorrect password which I ignore and then try again later and all is fine.

Here's how mine is set up

In Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars

Under the accounts section you should see your tiscali mail listed in the format yourid@tiscali.co.uk

Select it, Account should be 'ON'

Name will be whatever you have set

Address will be your email address ie. yourid@tiscali.co.uk

Description will be whatever you have set

Incoming Mailserver should read

Host Name pop.tiscali.co.uk ( remember it is POP and not POP3 )

User Nameyourid@tiscali.co.uk

Password your tiscali password

Outgoing Mail Server

SMTP smtp.tiscali.co.uk

In Advanced settings I have

Remove Never ( I do that myself )

Use SSL should be set to OFF, as you have discoverd

Don't worry about authentication

Delete from server Never (as we use Outlook on the family PC for that sort of thing)

Server Port 110

S/MIME Off

None of this is a direct answer to your original post but I thought you'd like to know that it should work no problemo.

Dec 30, 2011 2:38 AM in response to tHIS iSLAND eARTH

V many thanks for this help but sadly no improvement! Perhaps I should have said that I am still trying to complete the initial mail setup having just got the IPAD. The Tiscali settings which are entered automatically when I type in my emai address and password are the same as the ones you kindly gave me, and I am still getting the "cannot connect using SSL etc" message. I haven't seen 'Advanced Settings' yet and presume they are not an option until the new account is set up. Incidentally I'm getting the same problem trying to set up my wife's email which is also Tiscali. Grateful to hear if you have any further thoughts and thanks again for your help. James

Jan 5, 2012 11:59 AM in response to aldoush

Only partial. Spoke to Apple who gave me some test settings with another server (GMail). That worked fine. Apple advised contacting Tiscali to verify their settings. Did this by email from my computer to TalkTalk Customer Care. Quick response stressing they only provide limited support for other devices, but they confirmed the settings as correct. Then went back to PC World who sold me the Ipad. Their tech entered all the same settings manually. ie in every box where the Ipad had put them in automatically he rewrote the same setting himself. Still wouldn't connect "using SSL" but eventually did so on the "without SSL" option. Then hey presto my mail account appeared on the Ipad and even showed a couple of incoming messages! I thought everything was solved but it won't send messages merely saying " the connection to the outgoing server 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk' failed". PC World tech said nothing wrong with Ipad and advised going back again to TalkTalk, but I am not confident that will produce much. The whole thing is a real bore and takes up far too much time. My inclination is to get shot of Tiscali asap which I shall probably do when I have the time. Meanwhile suggest you try what the PC World tech did and would be grateful to hear if you have any success. Good luck!

Feb 21, 2012 4:14 PM in response to jamesfrommarnhull

Hello,I was just wondering if you managed to solve the sending emails issue,I had the same problems as yourself so I used the settings as described and started to receive email,but still couldn't send so I tried the following I had a free account with uku.co.uk and in the smtp settings I just put smtp.uku.co.uk left all the other smtp settings as they they were and hey presto I can send email no problem try using someone else's smtp settings it worked for me leave your pop settings as tiscali though hope this helps

Feb 22, 2012 7:25 AM in response to Freddyfredster

Thanks for that. Actually I eventually called in a local computer expert who sort of solved the problem for me by doing something on line with the Tiscali settings, which he said was where the problem lies. No fault of the iPad. Then everything worked fine until I took the iPad on holiday recently to South Africa. There once again it would receive emails on Tiscali but not send them. However I had taken the precaution before going of opening a back up email account with Gmail which worked fine. As soon as I got back home the iPad sent emails again ok via Tiscali. So that's where I'm at and I'm still convinced that I'd be better off without Tiscali!!

My new IPAD2 will not connect to my Tiscali mail account. Just says "cannot connect using SSL. do you want to try setting up account without SSL?' If I try that the result is the same. Tiscali settings appear ok. Any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.