Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule and DyDNS - help..

Purchased an Apple Time Capsule yesterday and went to configure dydns but found that it isn't as simple as my previous dlink router. I did find the following article but this doesn't seem relevant for the Dydns account I have:-

http://dyn.com/support/airport-time-capsule-with-dynamic-dns/

I think my DyDNS accountsetup must be as basic as it comes as I just have a "Hostname" of xxxxx.homeip.net and its IP address updated by my old router to the ISP assigned address.

With the configuration document above it would imply that I have to have my own domain name registered to set this up?

Is this correct or am I doing something wrong here?

I just want it to update the Hostname that is assigned under my DyDns free account??

Please advise?

Mark

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 9:01 AM

2 replies

Dec 30, 2011 1:59 PM in response to mdavenport

With the configuration document above it would imply that I have to have my own domain name registered to set this up?

Yes, you must register a domain.

If you don't want to do this, then you must have a computer on 24/7 to run a dyndns client on the computer behind the TC.

This is from the dyn document.

You must use Dyn Standard DNS with your own domain name for this to work properly. If you intend to use our DynDNS Free or Pro services with an AirPort or Time Capsule, you must use one of our Dyn Update Clients.

IMHO!!

A better strategy is just to pay for a static public IP.

Since you have to pay for this anyway.. if the ISP offers a static IP service take it.

Static IP is far more reliable method of connection.

Time Capsule and DyDNS - help..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.