Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am changing from Word to Pages. I have created my custom template with all my styles etc and that is what comes up when I go for a New Document. Fine. How do I get it to use the same Custom Template when I use Pages to open a Word document?

I am changing from Word to Pages. I have created my custom template with all my styles etc and that is what comes up when I go for a New Document. Fine. How do I get it to use the same Custom Template when I use Pages to open a Word document?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 9:21 AM

You can't open the Word document into a template. The Word document will be converted to a Pages document and retains as much as possible as it was created in Word.

5 replies

Dec 29, 2011 6:38 PM in response to alecfromnorth lancing

The template is a document in itself, it is not applied to an existing document whether it is a Pages document or a Word document converted to a Pages document.

You would need to either copy and paste content, using existing styles, or apply the styles to the converted Word document.

You can Import the Styles from an existing document and those imported Styles can be used to override the current document's styles:

Menu > Format > Import Styles

The process is simplified if the styles use the same names, otherwise you will need to delete the style you don't want and replace it with the one that you do want when asked, then the substitution is pretty straightforward.

Peter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.