Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgive me for a MBP vs iMac question

Please forgive my post as I'm sure people are tired of this question, but I'd like to ask with details about how I work.

My current MBP is an early 2010 with the following:

3.06 GHZ Core 2 Duo

8 GIG ram - 1067 MHZ DDR3

NVIDIA GoForce 9600M GT 512 MB

I bought this to edit video, and it has worked great. Just a side note, I bought this and 1 month later the new i7's came out!! Ugh.

Anyway, as I was saying, it's working fine, but now that I'm using FCPX and Motion, it's acting a bit tired, and I usually get a new computer every 2 years anyway.

My question is this, will the new TOP of the line MBP provide a noticable difference from my current MBP? Or should I be leaning towards a new iMac?

Second question is this, is the top end iMac faster than a top end MBP?

I'm interested in pure performance, so portability isn't an issue.

Thanks

Tony

MacBookPro - 15, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 3.06 GHZ - 8GIG ram

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 9:43 AM

5 replies

Jan 2, 2012 6:53 PM in response to Tony Reidsma

Ok, so I spent some time on the phone with apple, how disappointing... I spoke with a person at the apple store, which they directed me to apple sales, and they just told me what the website said, not to mention he told me that the iMac with the upgraded processor is only for gamming and it wouldn't do anything for me for video editing... ugh...

Anyway, I'm leaning towards the maxed out 17" MBP with my 24" monitor.

http://www.macworld.com/article/157893/2011/02/2011macbookpro_benchmarks.html

Thoughts?

Thanks so much for all your help.

Tony

Forgive me for a MBP vs iMac question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.