3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2011 6:13 PM by Jennifer Carr
Jennifer Carr Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

I've been trying to access my purchased TV shows today, but I keep getting a msg that the iTunes store is unavailable.  My internet connection is fine, and I can connect to iTunes on my Mac without any issues.  We were able to watch a show from this menu this morning.  We have a subscription to a children's show so we regularly watch shows from this menu and haven't had any trouble until today.  We've had our Apple TV for about 2 weeks, and this is our first time experiencing this issue.

Any suggestions on what to do?  Restart the unit?  Wait a bit?  Is this normal?  I have already contacted Apple support but they have a 48 hour window to reply.  :-/

Thanks,

Jen

• Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,690 points)

Restarting is quick and easy (menu and down for 6 secs on TV, or unplug power).

Not normal but not unheard of for there to be times when access to the store is problematic - rare in my experience.

Playing from the cloud is all very well, but less robust than playing from an itunes library on a local computer.  If you download the TVShows to there they would be available without using internet bandwidth but the computer has to be on with iTunes running.

AC

• Larry Nolan Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

Had the same issue and did the reset using the remote.  After the restart was able to access the store and play a tv program that is in the cloud.  Thanks for the tip.

• Jennifer Carr Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

Thanks for the insight - it seemed to magically fix itself before I had a chance to try a restart.  In the meantime, I went through and downloaded my purchases to my Mac.  It was high drama when my preschooler couldn't watch her show.    Flakiness is the main reason we ditched cable television for iTunes, so I hope this isn't a usual occurance. 

Cheers!