Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the organizing settings?

I have a playlist organized in alphabetical order by artist, then by album title. However, there are some album titles that start with a number. I've noticed that when I order the artists, the albums that start with a number are placed last instead of first, which I'm used to from Windows Media Player. Is there a way to change this setting, to make the albums that start with a number to come first? How do I do this?

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 2:54 PM

which I'm used to from Windows Media Player.

...and almost every other program in the world.

Is there a way to change this setting, to make the albums that start with a number to come first? How do I do this?

If you mean a setting to make iTunes sort the normal way, there is not one. However, you can alter the sort of particular albums by making use of the Sort Album field.

To do this, right-click the track(s), Get Info, and go to the Sorting tab. Add a value in the Sort Album field that will make it sort the way you want.

For example, if you have the new Peaking Lights album called "936" you can give its tracks a Sort Album value of "aaa 936" and it will start showing up above the A's.

The album name will still display correctly as "936"; only its sorting will be affected.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2011 2:54 PM in response to BakingCountryGirl2011

which I'm used to from Windows Media Player.

...and almost every other program in the world.

Is there a way to change this setting, to make the albums that start with a number to come first? How do I do this?

If you mean a setting to make iTunes sort the normal way, there is not one. However, you can alter the sort of particular albums by making use of the Sort Album field.

To do this, right-click the track(s), Get Info, and go to the Sorting tab. Add a value in the Sort Album field that will make it sort the way you want.

For example, if you have the new Peaking Lights album called "936" you can give its tracks a Sort Album value of "aaa 936" and it will start showing up above the A's.

The album name will still display correctly as "936"; only its sorting will be affected.

Dec 29, 2011 3:04 PM in response to BakingCountryGirl2011

For some silly reason Apple thinks numbers are sorted after letters, despite the fact that most other programs in the civilized world sort thing with numbers first, then letters. The really odd thing is that Apple is not even consistent with how they apply this logic (e.g. after the first character, numbers do get sorted before letters!). Utter goofiness 😕

Luckily, iTunes has a set of fields it can use in each song's "tag" (i.e. Get Info) to help sort things how you want it. To change the sort order, select all songs of an album that starts with a number and select "Get Info". Click on the "Sorting" tab and where you see "Sort Album" put the album's name but precede it with "aa". For example, if you want Rodrigo y Gabriella's album "11:11" to be sorted before "Live in Japan", put "aa11:11" in the Sort Album field. That will not affect how the album name looks anywhere, but it will sort it first because of the "aa" you put in before the album name.

As you'll see, there are other sorting fields you can use in a similar manner for Artist, Album Artist, and Composer.

How do I change the organizing settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.