Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do i keep getting this Heap Zone error

I have been trying and trying to export this movie i made in iMovie to iDVD. It is 35 min long and every time i try to export it to iDVD it gets like 3/4 of the way done and then it gives me this heap zone error. The movie is all pictures and are all in JPG format. I have made movies like this before and never got this error. The other movies i have created are 3 to 5 min long and have exported without a problem. I have tried to export it in numerous ways and i get the same error every time. Im running a Macbook Pro with pleanty of hard drive space and 4GB of RAM. I have tried the renaming the movie, restarting the computer, and reseting the RAM. I have disconnected all other devices including the mouse. Nothing but iMovie is running and when i watch activity moniter almost all of the active RAM goes to iMovie until it gets to about 25MB or free RAM and then it fails. I have tried almost everything and from what i've seen on the internet, this is a really big deal and a lot of people are having this problem. Apple needs to fix this.

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 5:03 PM

6 replies

Dec 29, 2011 10:52 PM in response to Y-Dog123

Hi

it gives me this heap zone error

Usually this occures when TimeMachine is active. Turn it off during iMovie work and especially when Sharing/Exporting.

Apple needs to fix this.

Yes they should - BUT they rarely reads this forum - it is a User trying to help other Users forum.

so give Apple feedback via this

www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

Yours Bengt W

Dec 30, 2011 11:04 AM in response to Y-Dog123

OK

Then I would

• see what material I feed iMovie - video codecs, photo file formats and audio file types

Video - I use streamingDV .dv

Photo - .jpg - .bmp is a problem maker

Audio - .aiff 16-bit 44.1 kHz (audio-CD) or 48 kHz (camera) - no .mp3 etc

• iMovie pref file - trash it

• Repair Permissions

• Free space on Start-Up (Mac OS) hard disk - I never go under 25Gb

Yours Bengt W

Dec 31, 2011 3:17 PM in response to Y-Dog123

Hi

To free up hard disk space

• You trash what You don't want any more - and Empty trash-basket (lost for ever)

• You move files and material to an external hard disk

• You move Movie Events and Projects WITHIN The iMovie Program - NOT ON DESKTOP/Finder

( DO NOT MOVE or adjust any folder named iMovie Events or iMovie Projects - if done iMovie loses track of them and they can be destroyed to an un-repairable state)

If You move Events and/or Projects within iMovie to an external hard disk then there is one MUST and one Should

• MUST - it must be Mac OS Extended (HFS) formatted as UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange will not work FOR VIDEO (everything else but not this)
• Should be a FireWire one - as USB/USB2 performs badly to me

Trash the pref file

• Delete iMovie pref. file

iMovie pref. file resides.

Mac Hard Disk (start-up HD)/Users/"Your account"/Library/Preferences

and is named. (one or more of these)

com.apple.iMovie.plist

com.apple.iMovie3.plist

com.apple.iMovie7.plist

com.apple.iMovie8.plist

com.apple.iMovie9.plist

com.apple.iMovieApp.plist

and find

com.apple.iApps.plist

While iMovie is NOT RUNNING - move this/these file/s out on to desk-top.

Now restart iMovie.

If You run Mac OS X.7 or more - then the Library in the User-account folder is invisibly and need to be set to be viewable. IT IS NOT in the Library on Root level (when opening MacintoshHD - first window = root level)

( It can be done like this: Open Terminal, then enter: chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press return, then restart, and it will always be visible until the next major update, when you do the same thing again. )

Yours Bengt W - AND A VERY HAPPY NEW 2012 !

Why do i keep getting this Heap Zone error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.