Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Warner Cable wideband broadband slowness issues with Motorola sbg6580 router

I recently purchased Time Warner Wideband broadband cable for Internet service. 50 Megabit down and 5 Megabit up. When I run the speedtests, I can see the full speed measure, but I stil see issues with browsing and getting connected to VPN.

I had Time Warner Cable come out and replace the router. I still had the same issues after the replacement of the SBG6580 router. There are no updates to the firmware on this router.

I consistently see slow web page loads and problems while on VPN. I found posts on the web saying that this router's firewall was not compatible with Apple's computer products. Even with this firewall turned off inside the router, I still had the same slowness and misc issues.

I finally just changed the router into a gateway using the Rg Passthrough (which automatically turned off the NATP). I added the Time Capsule's MAC ID to the bypass section on the Router. I set up my Time Capsule to act as the main router with a cable running from the Motorola router to the Time Capsule WAN port.

The web pages and VPN are extremely faster. So the root cause is with the Motorola SBG6580 router obviously. I always got the full speed on the Speedtest.net web site, but now everything works fine with this change.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iTunes-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 7:47 PM

17 replies

Dec 30, 2011 6:22 AM in response to CT

Thank you for the info. I worked with TWC talking with 8 different technicians and two different local technician over the week and none of them had any clue remotely or on site what is going on. Also they all confessed they never used an Apple computer.

They could not resolve the issue or tell me how to bridge the Time Capsule in.

Feb 11, 2012 5:50 AM in response to theHan

Dude. You are awesome! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you posted this solution. The fact that you took the time to post even AFTER you figured out a solution shows how thoughtful you are as an individual.

Its amazing to me that someone would comment adversely becuase they feel its in the wrong forum. If it affected their life as it does mine then they would get it. Amazing how people cant see past themselves. Who cares what forum its in if its informative? Worse case just move it to a different forum. We need more people like you and less like them in the world.

Thanks Im gonna try the solution right now!

Time Warner Cable wideband broadband slowness issues with Motorola sbg6580 router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.