Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synchronize a file on two Macs

I'd like to run Quicken Essentials on both a Macbook and an iMac, which means I need a way to keep the data file synchronized on the two computers. Both are on the same WiFi network. Is there something built into Lion to do this? Or is an third-party app required? If it's the latter--suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 9:11 PM

7 replies

Dec 29, 2011 9:36 PM in response to Poiks

The previous poster is on the right track. You can save the data file on a DropBox account and it will be synced. DropBox is free and secure, you have up to 2GB of free Cloud storage which is more than adequate for financial records. Visit DropBox.com and follow the onscreen instructions. It's very simple and a very elegant solution. I have been using it for over a year and have never had an issue with it. You will also find that it's widely and highly recommended. In fact MacWorld just ran an article on 10 things you should do with a new Mac, one the items chosen was getting a DropBox account. You can find the article at Ten things to do with your new Mac.

Dec 29, 2011 9:42 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I'd also second Dropbox. Used if for more than a year for working on files in various locations. The great thing about it is you can even snyc files between a PC and a Mac (or any other device that can upload to the internet).

If you happened to be out of the home, but had access to an internet-enabled computer, you could access any of your files in the Dropbox, update them and go home to find they'd been updated on both your macs too.

Dec 30, 2011 3:30 AM in response to Poiks

I personally would not keep any finacial information anywhere

but on local storage. I am sure people will chime in saying how

secure some of the web storage solutions are.

Well it is, until it is hacked.

I personally use a USB memory stick that I sync such information

and then to my different computers. You could sync across your network

between computers using various software. My choice is a perogram

called GoodSync. I use it for pretty much all may backup and project

syncing needs and works quite well. If you work across network between

the computers, make sure you have specific access to just that folder

that contains the data and prevent any other access other than yourself.

Obviously, you don't want read permissions enabled for anyone else.

Synchronize a file on two Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.