Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HAD A BRAND NEW IPHONE 4S AND APPLE GAVE ME A NEW ONE? OR IS IT REFURBISHED? PLEASE HELP!

I Recently got an iphone 4s from sprint which cost me 200 + the activation under my name another 200 and ive only had it for 2 weeks when it started messing up my apps would freeze and none of them would open and the battery was dying like crazy!

anyway... went to the genius bar and the doode gave me a new phone without a hastle just like that. now my question is since he called it a "replacement phone" does this mean the phone is used? idk it really bothered me that he said that because i spent a lot of money on a BRAND NEW phone for them to give me a used one??? does any one know? and also since its 4s if it was to be a refurbished one would the features be the same? the better camera n stuff??? im new to apple what should i do?

should i return it for a new one at sprint? please help me!

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 1:51 AM

7 replies

Dec 30, 2011 2:00 AM in response to cynthiafromriverside

How can anyone here know what they gave you? None of us were there in the store at the time. I'd suggest you go back to the store and ask them. A "replacement phone" means exactly that - a "replacement" for the faulty "phone" you returned.

Whatever you were given, it will be identical to the one that was replaced (apart from it works).

There is no difference between a refurbished phone, and a new one, except the refurbished one has actually been through more checks that it is ok, than a new one.

Dec 30, 2011 3:00 AM in response to cynthiafromriverside

Apple gave you a replacement from 'service stock'. It could be brand new, it could be refurbished by Apple (which includes a LOT more than most do when "refurbishing" a phone). You should not be able to tell.

If it makes you feel any better, the 4S hasn't been out long enough for any number of refurbished phones to work their way into service stock yet.

Oct 5, 2012 10:44 AM in response to cynthiafromriverside

Its most likely refurbished to new form. After 3 months of release of new iphone model the returns are coming staright back to apple and they refurbish with the help of outside contractors to almost new form. They still stand with the original warranty but they are not Brand new. Unless you get it from Assurion. They provide it new through your insurance plan by the copay of $199.

HAD A BRAND NEW IPHONE 4S AND APPLE GAVE ME A NEW ONE? OR IS IT REFURBISHED? PLEASE HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.