Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect Iomega iConnect

Really starting to frustrate me now, got the family a Mac for christmas, my first real journey into the world of desktop Apples, but it's being really frustrating.

I have an Iomaga iConnect with a hard drive and a printer attached, the mac sees, connects and prints to the printer, however although it sees the iconnect in Finder when I click 'Connect As' and enter one of the users and thier password it then pops up a message saying ...

There was a problem connecting to the server "storage.local". The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported.

I have tried connecting just as it is found in Finder and by forcing it to connect as AFP, but no joy either way.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 6:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies

Mar 5, 2012 11:50 AM in response to Nick(c)

Nick, When you say you solved your problem does this mean that you have the Iomega iConnect working with Mac OSX 10.7 ("Lion")? Have you been able to use Time Machine with your connected drives?

Iomega still indicates that OSX 10.7 is not supported and in fact state that there are sufficient changes in this operating system that support is not available:

Support limitations due to architectural changes in Mac OS X 10.7:

Apple OS X Lion (10.7) introduces major architectural changes to Apple's network protocols that break Time Machine functionality for existing network storage devices. Customers who upgrade their Mac to OS X Lion (10.7) will break existing Time Machine support on the following Iomega devices:

iConnect Wireless Data Station

https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28327

Oct 10, 2012 12:27 PM in response to BillUlm

Hi

time machine can only work with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) disks or with Time Capsule. So, as long as iomega does not work on new firmware you cannot use iconnect for time machine anymore (shame on iomega!)

To share drives with iconnect for other purposes however you can mount iconnect shares using other protocols like smb (windows sharing): just goto the finder and connect to server in the go menu, then add the following in the server address box:

smb://<iconnect ip-address>/sharename

example: smb://192.168.1.10/data

Click on the + sign to make it a favorite server.

Peter

Dec 23, 2012 12:37 AM in response to Nick(c)

Hi all, I bought the icconect like two years ago and didn't use it since. Because I was waiting for the right time, I got my person printer, Iomega 1tb hard drive and tougth I could fonally printdirectlyfrom myipad orat lest my Mac but the only thing I can do is see wats on my USB flash drive. But I can't print, it finds the printer but it doesn't print. I downloaded drivers, I even found the drivers in the list of printers but still nothing. Any ideas on why?

Mar 12, 2013 3:00 PM in response to kakkewiet

ThankS a lot ) It really works !

In my case there was an issue concerning this:

IOmega connect (soft. 2.5.26.18966) Enable security / Enable Users management options were activated.

User Admin was created with full access to HDD connected to IO Connect

I've got the same error mentioned in 1st message while tried to connect to it from Macbook (os 10.8.2 updated).

But.. everything worked fine if I disable Secure & Users Management in the IO Connect web interface.

So the solution was typing smb://<iconnect ip-address>/sharename in "connect to server" adress box (instead of afp://<iconnect ip-address>/sharename when IO Connect security is deactivated)

How to connect Iomega iConnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.