Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-fi self assigned IP

I purchased my first Mac today, a mac mini.

I can't seem to connect to the Internet via wi-fi. My signal bars are full yet on the "network" page in the system preferences it states:

"wifi has the self assigned ip 169.xxx.xx.xx and will not be able to connect to the Internet"

Any advice or help would be truly appreciated. Dying to get my new mac up and running!

Thanks,

Harrison

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 8:02 AM

Go to System Preferences > Network > the WiFi symbol > make sure lock is open > Advanced > TCP/IP and have it go to DHCP instead of fixed.

17 replies

Dec 30, 2011 8:18 AM in response to harrisonrose

In that Network, WiFi, Advnaced, TCP/IP window you should see an IP address for the router, and an IPv4 address, the router address usually ends in a 1, and the IPv4 address matches except for the fnal number.

What sequence are you seeing but don't give the exact number sequence use x's excecpt for the last number if all the other numbers are the same.

Jun 3, 2012 8:00 AM in response to harrisonrose

I posted already something that actually solved the problem on all macs connecting to routers with the same problem. Just change the Encryption Algorithm from TKIP to AES. Well there are differences and Apple computers seem not to be a big fan of TKIP. It works for some people but it creates more conflicts. The other thing I changed was the Group Key Interval from 900 to 3200.

All changes were made on the router.

It's working on every computer with this problem.

Oct 16, 2012 5:30 AM in response to harrisonrose

I have a simlar problem.

I have 2 mac minis for my kids and 2 x imac, 1 x macbook air.

My network uses airport extreme's gen 3 I think.

The network has been in place for over a year with no problems, and the minis have been functioning well for 6 months or more.

In the past 6 weeks both of the mac minis have been self assigning the ip address. I've deleted the network settings and started again from scratch several times. and once or twice powercycling everything (cable modem, minis, airports) has reconnected. but eventually the ip is self assigned. I'm installing Lion to see if it makes any difference. I can drop and reconnect iphones and ipads sitting next to the minis and cannot reproduce the problem on anything but the 2 minis.

Wi-fi self assigned IP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.