Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login screen flickers

I have three iMacs and a MacBook Pro. I run ARD on my MBP to administer the other computers. All are running Snow Leopard and ARD 3.5.1 on a gigabit network on the same subnet. Should be a piece of cake, right?

I can access two of the iMacs without any problems. When I go to the Scanner, I see all computers on the network (as well as IPs for the Time Capsule and the Brother MFC). When I double click on two of the iMacs, they show all the infomation and I have the ability to 'Edit' the username and password... I can control or observe either of them. But the third iMac's info window has very little information in it. I says that I can't run reports and that I'm not in the list of computers that are allowed to manage it.

When I click on the 'Observe' or 'Control' buttons, the login window flashes breifly and goes away.

Anyone experienced this before?

Apple Remote Desktop-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 9:43 AM

I solved my own problem so I thought I'd share the answer here.

It turned out that there was another computer from another network in my list of computers that had the same IP address. I take my MBP from client to client and I often use 192.168.2.x as the subnet.

Once I deleted the other computer from my list, I was able to login to the iMac on this network with the same IP without a problem.

Hope this helps someone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2011 9:43 AM in response to lightspeedguru

I solved my own problem so I thought I'd share the answer here.

It turned out that there was another computer from another network in my list of computers that had the same IP address. I take my MBP from client to client and I often use 192.168.2.x as the subnet.

Once I deleted the other computer from my list, I was able to login to the iMac on this network with the same IP without a problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Login screen flickers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.