Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

efficient sound/fx programming in mainstage

Hi everybody,

I am using mainstage now for one year for live gigs. For this purpose the built-in sounds are quite thin, so i began to double the channel strips, add fx, and so on. I am using a 13'' MB Pro (i don't want anything bigger), so sometimes i get warnings about CPU load. The question now is: are there experiences / recommendations how to do a sort of resource efficient programming in mainstage (cpu load, ram usage, startup time of mainstage).

- Does ist make any difference (regarding cpu, ram) using one concert based reverb (in a concert-level-bus) or using the reverb-bus in every patch?

- Is it more efficient to use one fx-bus where a layered sound (e.g. 4 strips) is routed to than using the same fxs on each channel strip?

- Does a channel strip alias reduce load time and cpu load when using one sound in several patches?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Nobse

MainStage, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 11:43 AM

1 reply

Jan 3, 2012 9:20 AM in response to nobse_motd

It is always better to use less plugins whenever possible. So that would mean that it is a lot more efficient to use a concert based reverb than one every patch. It is also better to use one fx bus rather than an fx for each channel strip. An alias does reduce cpu load at the cost of not being able to take advantage of some of the patch switching features of MainStage. Basically the less plugins you add total, the more efficient MainStage will be.

efficient sound/fx programming in mainstage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.