Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a pivot table in numbers?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 9:07 AM

I know that it's an old question but I thought it might help other who are Googling for the answer and end up here. I think you can find the best answer here: https://devinthefastlane.wordpress.com/2017/01/23/how-to-mimic-pivot-table-or-ca tegories-in-number-3/

8 replies

Oct 28, 2013 7:46 AM in response to doswebdev

SO HERE'S WHAT I GOT TO WORK:

Truth is all the real functionality of categories and pivot tables exists in the formulas. You just have to

1. Create a new table with a list of the categories in the header column.
  2. Add SUMIFS() formula from the browser into the next column.
  3. Enter your arguments and make sure to check "Preserve Column" for each of them.
  4. Although it might not be apparent, you can enter multiple test value and condition pairs.

While I admit the formulas are not nearly so graphic as categories, they are cleaner and less restricting, and they aren't any more difficult to work with than pivot tables.

Nov 5, 2013 9:05 AM in response to bcyng

making the unique list isnt time consuming, problimatic, or error prone if you use the existing methods mentioned in many posts for creating unique lists from numbers tables. simple formula and a sort in some of the simpler forms.

Take your new unique list and paste it into a column. Fill your equation down and your done. I have at least one support call a week where someone doesnt understand PTs and they are showing bad results due to range issues. This method takes care of that becuase in numbers is it really easy to refer to the columns by name.

Where in excel it allows many tables to be on one sheet, which can cause issues for beginners.

Jason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.