Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes error -50

I have been experencing this issue for about three weeks now. The problem occurs when downloading movies for the most part. I run a Lenovo 64-bit with Windows 7 through Comcast high speed. The only malware/anti-virus programs I run are CCleaner and Windows Defender. After a three hour phone call with Apple they couldn't solve the problem. Basically I have a perfect network speed and everything runs fine but downloading media from Apple. It takes easily over two hours for a movie and everytime I do it's interupted ten times with the iTunes error -50. I have googled the error code and looked/asked various help forums and couldn't get a straight answer/solution. Has anyone ever expericed this issue or know any solutions? Thanks a lot.

iTunes 10.5-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 10:00 PM

6 replies

Jan 7, 2012 8:34 AM in response to aaronweber31

I am having this exact issue. What is truly crazy is that I can stream TV shows to my Apple TV with no problem! But when I try to actually download them, I get error -50. The download will go for as long as 200-300 MB, usually more like 100 megs, and then boom, error -50. I have tried deleting the downloads folder. I've also tried it on 3 different computers on my home network. Same issue on all 3. I've seen scatter posts on forums here or there; I think this is an issue with one of the most recent updates.

I've even tried it with different iTunes store accounts to make sure that it is not specific to mine....

Anybody else found a solution yet?

Oh, I am doing this on OS X. I've tried an iMac, mac mini, and a macbook air, all using latest software updates on everything running Lion.

Jan 16, 2012 6:59 PM in response to jasonfromosu

May be this article can be of help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3297

"Error -50," "-5000," "8003," "8008," or "-42023"

These alerts occur due to timeouts or conflicts trying to write a file during download.

If you encounter this issue while accessing iTunes Store:

See iTunes 9: "One Moment Please" or "Error (-50)" message when accessing iTunes Store

If you encounter this issue while while downloading something from the iTunes Store:

Delete your iTunes Downloads folder, located in:

Mac OS X:
 ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Downloads Note: "iTunes Media" may appear as "iTunes Music. Also, the tilde (~) refers to your Home directory.

Windows Vista:
 \Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

Windows 7:
 \Users\username\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

Windows XP:
 \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\

After locating your iTunes Downloads folder:

1. Quit iTunes.
  2. Delete the Downloads folder on your computer.
  3. Open iTunes.
  4. Choose Store > Check for Available Downloads.
  5. Enter your account name and password.

If you encounter this issue while while downloading Digital Copies using Windows:

Use MSCONFIG (directions for Windows XP and Windows Vista/Windows 7) to disable conflicting software.

If using MSCONFIG steps resolves the issue, you may want to use the System Configuration Utility to turn on the third-party System Services and Startup Items one at a time (restarting your computer after turning on the item or items) to identify which System Service or Startup Item is causing the conflict.

You can turn all of them back on by selecting the Normal Startup option under the General tab of the System Configuration Utility window, but please note that this may cause the issue to reoccur.

If you are able to isolate the issue to a particular third-party software, you may wish to contact them to let them know of the conflict.

itunes error -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.