Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Billions of colors

SwitchresX allows 10.7.2 to switch into 30-bit color mode, Billions of colors, but only if the video card and monitor both support it, and I have a combination that does, and OS X will actually switch into said mode and works, verified with some tools, along with the fact that windowserver is running in RGB101010.

However, core image seems to have bugs with this. for example, angry birds in a window is fine, but in fullscreen, it runs false color, almost as if the color palette is wrong. Being that these modes are not palettized, this shouldn't happen.

I understand it's a prelininary thing as Apple hasn't released this feature entirely for use, but does anyone know of a fix?

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 5:37 AM

4 replies

Dec 31, 2011 5:55 AM in response to softwater

Of course it's not an advert, and no, they can't help with this.

Apple introduced 30-bit color in 10.7.2.. Their window server allows it now, but they never implimented the display preferences to turn it on.. Other tools for example, like SwitchresX can, or manually editing the window server PLIST, can enable it.

The problem however, is that Apple doesn't seem to have fully implimented 30-bit color yet, which seems rediculous, considering that my Windows XP computer can do it just fine, and Macs are supposed to be great for photography.. Well if they are, then I can't see why Apple is slacking in the Core Image department on 30-bit color (because from what I've found, Core Image lacks full screen 30-bit color support), and being that Lion is all about full screen, this is a severe limitation.

I know who to go to for support when I need too.. Apple silently turned on 30-bit color support, it's in the code. All switchresX does is activate it like display preferences should.

My issue, is it's bugged. This is a forum for help.. I'll understand if Apple hasn't finished debugging it yet, but it's taking them an awefully long time to bring out 30-bit color, considering for the past few years their own hardware has supported it..

Billions of colors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.