Skip navigation

Battery Life - Macbook Pro 13

425 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2011 8:20 PM by Allan Jones RSS
joaopscardozo Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 31, 2011 8:53 AM

I`ve just bought my new macbook Pro 13, but I have some doubts, like:

You can`t take the battery off in new MBP! And people say that it`s not good use the battery with the energy! How do I deal with that? People say that Mac`s batteries don`t get adicted! Is it true?

The other doubt is that I installed Parallels and people say that this software cause many damage to the battery. I`ve read a topic about that and I took some steps to avoid it!

My battery sometimes causes that it`ll take 7 hours to get down but other say that will take 4 hours, it has been oscilating. Is it normal? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance,

John.

MacBook Pro
  • dominic23 Level 6 Level 6 (18,530 points)
    Dec 31, 2011 1:04 PM (in response to joaopscardozo)

Newer kind of batteries do not have memory problem.

The battery in this MBP 15" uses about 16% per hour.

So your experience appears normal.

MBP/10.7.1

• OrangeMarlin Level 5 Level 5 (5,130 points)
    Dec 31, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to joaopscardozo)

joaopscardozo wrote:

The other doubt is that I installed Parallels and people say that this software cause many damage to the battery. I`ve read a topic about that and I took some steps to avoid it!

What people?  Parallels may draw more power since it is processor intensive, but it's not going to damage the batter.  The only thing that will seriously damage the battery is putting it on an unprotected outlet and getting hit by lightning.  Or pouring a cup of coffee on it.

Don't worry about not removing it.  It will last over 1000 cycles, and that's just to get it down to 80% of maximum charge.  You have years of life on it.  YEARS.

• eww Level 9 Level 9 (52,975 points)
    Dec 31, 2011 6:58 PM (in response to joaopscardozo)

Yes, it's OK. That figure will fluctuate up and down by as much as several percentage points from day to day and week to week throughout the battery's useful lifespan.

Don't obsess over your battery. It's fine.

• Allan Jones Level 7 Level 7 (29,610 points)
    Dec 31, 2011 8:20 PM (in response to joaopscardozo)
    The other doubt is that I installed Parallels and people say that this software cause many damage to the battery.

The only probelm was that a release of Parallels caused one of its background processes to work overtime and make the Dock use nearly all the processor cycles. This was only after you upgraded to OS 10.6.8, not Lion.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.