Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone battery draining while charging.

Hello Apple Discussions!

The issue I am experiencing is my main #1 problem: Battery life.

But my main concern here is that when charging through a car charger, which indeed was designed for the iPhone, seems to get very hot and not charge.

I was in my friends car going to his place and had my phone plugged in through the charger on the console, and I was noticing the device to get extremely hot, infact so hot I could feel the back / front glass just with the side of my hand and almost burning me, and the battery was draining as well, I noticed because it was at 14% battery and supposedly charging, then it gave me a low battery warning saying it dropped down to 10%, my reaction was "What?", then I started noticing it dropping more, 9%, then 8%, by the time I got there, the phone was extremely hot and yet I was expecting it to shut down with a "Temperature, iPhone needs to cool down etc.." error but yet that never happened, I'd say the device was probably at least 150 degrees or so on the inside, which would definitely not be good with the battery, I'm surprised it didn't combust or explode while we were driving down the road.

Is this normal for an iPhone to do this? I'm definitely sure it there's either something wrong with my battery or something wrong in general with my device. It's strange because my friend has an iPhone as well, he's still running iOS 4.3 and said he never had the issue.

Edit: Oh and for the reference, I was not using any GPS apps while it was charging, I was only just checking the time and keeping an eye on the battery life while it was unlocked, keeping the screen awake by tapping it to check on it.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:48 AM

I'd say the problem lies with the charger in question. I certainly wouldn't use it again even though it's "designed" for the iPhone.

I'm wondering how much damage has been done to the battery.

2 replies

Dec 31, 2011 11:06 AM in response to jlindh123

I don't think it lies within the charger, because the charger worked fine on his iPhone, but why not with mine? They're both 3GS's, just running a different iOS version. Obviously I must have either a defective or bad iPhone (battery).

I'm wondering that as well. The iPhone did infact get quite hot so I wonder if something may have gotten burned or something on the inside. This makes me worry that something might happen again.

iPhone battery draining while charging.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.