Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attaching ONLY a PDF icon, not the open file to a mail message.

I recall that I once found a Menu item for limiting the attachment of a PDF to its icon only and NOT the opened file. I can't find it now. Any idea welcome.

iMac/Intel-27; iPad; iPhone v.1, Mac OS X (10.6.7), HP DeskJet 970 Cse; HP LaserJet 5200

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 4:39 PM

Attach the pdf as an attachment to your email, right click on the picture. About 1/3 the way down the menu, you will see "View as Icon". If you select this, the picture will turn into an icon in your mail.

23 replies

Dec 31, 2011 12:25 PM in response to RHPC

I found that it's a CNTRL/CLICK item, rather than a MENU BAR option that will attach an icon of even a 1-page pdf, thus avoiding the embedding of it in the message.

It's never been a menu bar item; it's always been in the New Message window, at least when you use Mail Attachment Iconizer (what's now known as Attachment-Tamer). With that installed, you had the option to choose the size of an attachment displayed in the window, but only if it's a one-page attachment.

Dec 31, 2011 11:19 AM in response to RHPC

I believe you're mistaken. Mail treats files differently based on their content. If you attach an image file (jpg, png, gif, tif, etc.), Mail will display the image in the message window. If you attach a PDF file, Mail will display the document if it's one page; if it's more than one page, Mail only displays the icon for the PDF file.

Oct 16, 2013 7:20 PM in response to softwater

I had it and now it is gone. Don't know exactly when but recently (OSX 10.8.5). Perhaps I am not the only one with this experience. It seemed to work for all attachments too ala MS Exchange. Changing to plain text did not help me.

Does the recipient get it the same way it is sent - not having tested? Yes I'm lazy.

Is there a way to set attachment as icon by default without a third party tool?😕

Sep 15, 2015 9:50 AM in response to kurt188

kurt188 wrote:

I found that it's a CNTRL/CLICK item, rather than a MENU BAR option that will attach an icon of even a 1-page pdf, thus avoiding the embedding of it in the message.

It's never been a menu bar item; it's always been in the New Message window, at least when you use Mail Attachment Iconizer (what's now known as Attachment-Tamer). With that installed, you had the option to choose the size of an attachment displayed in the window, but only if it's a one-page attachment.

Nope, any image of or from a file attached that you can see in an email that you send can be converted to an icon display by ctl-clicking and selecting 'View as Icon" it doesn't matter how many pages or what type of file it is.

Here's a picture of it.

User uploaded file

Sep 16, 2015 1:40 PM in response to RHPC

Please note that all the above 'solutions' are essentially irrelevant for 99.9% of cases.

They only affect YOUR copy of Mail.app's rendering of the attachment.

In general (depending on your preference setting), Mail.app will try to display inline attachments of images, PDFs, etc.

Other mail clients have their own settings. In other words, you may send the attachment as an icon only and send it to another user whose mail client is under no obligation to do the same, and they may see the image inline (and vice versa).

Attaching ONLY a PDF icon, not the open file to a mail message.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.