Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think my computer has been hacked, help please?

Hi,

A couple of days a go, after having my laptop for nearly two years, I have started to have major issues with it. When I log on, as soon as I get on to my desktop, without any encouragement, it starts doing its own thing such as the mouse moving around in a very jagged manner and generally resisting anything I attempt to do. It is making my computer incredably slow and its so frustrating. Even worse, I am frightened I may have picked up something and that someone is controlling my machine but the issue is I know so very little about computers, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have changed browsers (used to use Safari, now I use FireFox) and have backed up all my files on to a hard drive and am thinking about restoring the mac to it's factory settings but I am unsure whether this would mean I would lose all my applications which I desperately can't afford to do. It only happens occasionally, so at the present it is fine but it occurs out of the blue and is very unnerving. I have two anti virus programmes on here: ClamXav and iAntiVirus which suggest that there are no virus found on the computer. I have also been monitoring the activity monitor and although nothing has particularly drawn much attention, it can be fair to say I am not entirely sure what I am looking for.

Is there any way to double check to see as to whether my computer is infected and if so what would be my next move?

Muchly appreciated

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 10:48 AM

7 replies

Dec 31, 2011 11:12 AM in response to CherryBlossom1109

Well your first problem is you are running anti virus program, Mac's don't need them (or so they say).

Second is you are running 2 AV programs. That is never a good idea.

Third is it just may be your touchpad is shot and even though you have a mouse attached the touchpad is doing all the funny stuff.

Next move is to uininstall the AV programs.

If you have a mouse attached to the system unplug it and use only the touchpad for awhile and see if the same things happen If they do it's time to have it looked at by a Apple care center.

As for the software you have installed you should have either the disc the software orginally came on or it should all be in your Downloads folder on your hard drive. All you have to do is copy the ZIP or DMG files from the downloads folder to a secure location, like an external hard drive, and that way if you need to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS you can reinstall all your software.

As for personal files they should be in the Documents folder. Again copy all that to an external drive.

As for program add-ons and setting, like emails and contact lists they can be found and copied also, as for the other stuff well you're just going to have to deal with those after you get everything fixed up. That is if you need to wipe the drive and re-install.

Dec 31, 2011 12:06 PM in response to CherryBlossom1109

The anti-virus software is not the problem. Yes, Shootist is correct that AV software can be almost as much of a problem as getting infected with malware, but ClamXav is one that is good. Having two isn't so good, though, so ditch iAntivirus at least. And see my Mac Malware Guide for more information to protect yourself from malware.

Similarly, the firewall is also not the problem. You almost certainly do not need a firewall. See Do I need a firewall? for more information on that.

Most likely, you are not being hacked. If I understand you correctly, it doesn't seem like the mouse has any purpose to its actions - is that correct? If so, my first thought would be that your battery has gone bad and is expanding, and in the process is pressing on the underside of the trackpad. That is a known cause of this kind of behavior. Though I must admit I've never seen a battery expand, it does happen. I'd advise getting the machine looked at by Apple ASAP.

If the movements do appear purposeful, someone could be playing a prank on you. Check System Preferences -> Sharing and make sure everything there is turned off. If Screen Sharing is on, someone may have been using that to access your machine, most likely someone who knows your MobileMe password (if you have MobileMe) or someone on the same local network that you're using.

(Note that my pages contain links to other pages that promote my services, and this should not be taken as an endorsement of my services by Apple.)

Jan 1, 2012 3:29 PM in response to CherryBlossom1109

I have little snitch already, I hope that isn't disabled! In regards to the actions that occurs, nothing specific is done, just looks like a lot of left clicking (often trying to make new folders or randomly clicking things) but overall it's the real struggle to move around the screen. It is reassuring to think that possibly my computer isn't hacked, never occured to me that something could be wrong with the trackpad although it seems that the action only occurs when I leave the computer alone and is generally inactive although it used to be all the time but it seems to be less frequent now. Unless the trackpad is choosing when to be difficult I'm not entirely sure it could be that because it's sometimes fine and the best part not.

I've got rid of anti virus now, I only have clamXav remaining. The fire wall is on and there is no sharing active on the computer, also as far as I am aware no one is on my network apart from me (as housemates are away) and the internet is password protected, so I am certain this isn't a prank (although this was an inital thought).

Is there anything else I can do to check? or download to protect myself?

Many thanks for the replies already!

I think my computer has been hacked, help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.