Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.6.8 server will Not Boot

Hi my 10.6.8 server will not boot. System is a 2009 Mac pro. I have run disk utility from the original server software install disk, ran repair disk, and repair disk permissions. Get some acl found errors have read that they most often are erroneous, Still got the same errors after permission repairs. While booting in verbose mode get the following messages before it stops:

kern.maxprocoeruip: 266 -> 2400

launchctl: Couldn't stat("/library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.asterisk.plist"): Nosuch File or directory (note: removed asterisk from this system months ago)

launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /ect/mach_init.d/chum.plist

launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /ect/mac_ini/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /ect/mach_init.d/pilotfish.plist

Unexpected error triggering kextd volume watching.

/: Couldn't get description from Disk Arbitration..

I did read on another post here to try to reinstall the os, however when I try to install over the operating system it says I am trying to install an older os and it will not let me install in the same volume.... Although I am confident I have all the data on backups as well have timemachine backups, I would rather not have to erase and install this machine.

Any insight to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), OSX Server 10.6.8

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 9:30 AM

I found that I had a bad harddrive, or at least that is what I think happened.. I did have a time machine backup as well, although in hindsight, I should have made some manual backups of my open directory and the databases hosted on the server. In any case I ended up purchasing "server grade" harddrives and reinstalling the OS on to the new blank hard drives, I was then able to recover from my time machine backup, however, I did have the issue of the restore going over 100%, I tried this several times and the same result with no end after hours and hours. After reading through various forums I found that clicking the mouse button for about 10 minutes straight once it hit 100% finally worked, I was lucky that the Time machine backup had good data on it since I have read several posts saying that Time machine doesn;t backup directoies or any "open files" very well, however I had no problems after recovering from the backup. I do however now backup or archive my directory everyday, and I rely on Filemaker to backup its own databases, however I still use time machine as well...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2012 9:30 AM in response to Goetch

I found that I had a bad harddrive, or at least that is what I think happened.. I did have a time machine backup as well, although in hindsight, I should have made some manual backups of my open directory and the databases hosted on the server. In any case I ended up purchasing "server grade" harddrives and reinstalling the OS on to the new blank hard drives, I was then able to recover from my time machine backup, however, I did have the issue of the restore going over 100%, I tried this several times and the same result with no end after hours and hours. After reading through various forums I found that clicking the mouse button for about 10 minutes straight once it hit 100% finally worked, I was lucky that the Time machine backup had good data on it since I have read several posts saying that Time machine doesn;t backup directoies or any "open files" very well, however I had no problems after recovering from the backup. I do however now backup or archive my directory everyday, and I rely on Filemaker to backup its own databases, however I still use time machine as well...

OSX 10.6.8 server will Not Boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.