Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firewire as start up disk.

Has anyone tried useing an External firewire hard drive as the main start up hard drive? If so any problems? Also how reliable are external firewire hard drives?

700mhz Imac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Feb 13, 2006 5:20 AM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2006 8:42 PM in response to Mitch Monyak

Yeah, I've recently started using a LaCie Porsche 160GB FW as my startup drive and I'm having a little problem - but only a little problem.

My specs: iMac 1.25 GHz 1 GB RAM. 2 Drives:
"ROGUE" (internal)
"NEON" (external)
I have set "Startup Disk" in System Preferences on both drives to make NEON the startup drive. All is well on Restart, but if I Shut Down, Rogue becomes the boot volume, and I have to Restart. Most of the time, I just put the iMac to sleep, but occasionally, I shut down, then after the usual long wait, I have to restart. It's only annoying, but I wish I could fix it.

iMac G4 20 Mac OS X (10.4)

iMac G4 20 Mac OS X (10.4)

Feb 24, 2006 8:21 PM in response to Duane

Duane & All:

I sure wasn't trying to make a case against FW boot drives and I hope that it didn't come across that way! I use them all the time without incident or reservation.

From my own day-to-day experience with using both methods of booting/operating, I wouldn't (and don't) hesitate to boot and run from FW. I agree with you: I personally can't perceive a difference in speed in normal use. Internal ATA is supposedly faster, for those who'd bicker about what may be trivial differences in practical use.

I mentioned FW TDM only because folks get caught by surprise when they change a boot drive to slave or FW and find out after-the-fact that they can't see the drive when attempting to troubleshoot or otherwise access it with that method, not understanding what the problem is.

Gary

1GHz DP G4 Quicksilver 2002, 400MHz B&W rev.2 G3, Mac SE30 Mac OS X (10.4.2) 5G iPod, Epson 2200 & R300 & LW Select 360 Printers, Epson 3200 Scanner

firewire as start up disk.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.