Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDCP

I have a Samsung HD 720 p certified. But when i try to play a movie from itunes, it tells me I cannot read it ... an HDCP problem . I have restored , tried on another HD TV ... still the same .... I dont think the proble is the HD wire.... it is brand new ...

what can I do ??

AppleTV 2, the apple tv2 is brand new too

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 12:50 AM

Have your tried a different HDMI lead?

Is it running latest firmware?

AC

19 replies

Jan 7, 2012 4:43 PM in response to wintersss

I'd agree there is nothing wrong with marking your answer correct, you solved your problem, so it's correct. The point I was making was it doesn't need an HDMI cable from the Apple Store.

I actually think there are quite a few bad cables out there and the cheaper they are the more likely they are to be bad. Much of the cost of a cable is eaten up by quality control, quality control ensures that a smaller quantity fail.

Personally I look for cables between £5 and £20 depending on their length, I might be more likely to encounter a bad one than paying more, but my consumer rights mean I can exchange it.

Jan 7, 2012 6:11 PM in response to wintersss

wintersss wrote:

i tried all the other thing , like the hand shake thing and the reset and it didnt work , so , it must be the right thing to do IN THE CASE

Sorry, but no. You definitely do not need an "apple brand cable if you want everything works fine", which is what you said. There's nothing special about an "Apple brand cable" to distinguish it from a non-Apple brand cable. A high-speed HDMI cable costing $4 or so in a 6' length from places like Monoprice.com would have worked just as well.

Nov 22, 2014 10:46 PM in response to wintersss

Here is my solution.. I rent and/or buy my movies on my computer and then I use an adapter to connect to the tv bypassing the Apple Tv. As for AirPlay I simply can't do anything about it. Anything I stream gives me the HDCP message. I have tried all the alternatives including buying cables that cost more than the unit itself! Nothing! If you scan the Internet you will see an increasing number of hate message on the subject. This product has the same use as a hockey puck. Simply the biggest piece of garbage ever to come out of Cupertino.

HDCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.